Hot water trouble

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Hot water trouble

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I have recently moved into an apartment that has a 38gal gas water heater that is 4 years old. When I take a shower the hot water lasts for 10 minutes and only 8 minutes for a bath. I do not run the washer or the dishwasher anytime near the time I take a shower nor do I use the heater an hour before. The apartment maintenance looked at the outside of the water heater for a few minutes and said nothing was wrong and that I should just learn to live with a short shower. Is this normal or is there a problem like I think there must be?

Participant

Hi Tina; Sounds like the water heater diptube may be brken off inside the heater. As the tank is only 4 years old the warrenty should cover it for 5 years. Have the owner/landlord get the installer back to check the tank if its still under warrenty.Marty

Participant

Hi Tina; Sounds like the water heater diptube may be brken off inside the heater. As the tank is only 4 years old the warrenty should cover it for 5 years. Have the owner/landlord get the installer back to check the tank if its still under warrenty.Marty

Participant

Sounds like you may need a flow restrictor to limit the GPM flow
              Good luck ..Sylvan

Participant

Ten minutes with a 38 gallon heater is about 4 gpm. A shower without a flow restrictor could use that much. If the water fills the tub to about 5 or 6 inches, then that is 40 gallons. A broken dip tube would not give anywhere near that much hot water before it turned colc.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This