Plugged Bathtub Drain

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Plugged Bathtub Drain

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have a completely plugged bathtub drain. I tried proffessional strength liquid plumber and 12 hours later there was no change. Then i tried a wire hanger and was able to get the small amount of liquid to drain. I added more liquid plumber and it continues to stand in the tub without draining. What can i try next?

Participant

Majt..if you have access to a wet/dry vacuum, put the open end of the suction line over the drain opening in the bottom of the tub. Make sure the lever for the stopper (if it has one,
          is in the up position.)
          Take a wet rag and hold it over the overflow hole and turn on the vacuum (this may some assistance by someone to hold the wet rag in place while you do the vacuum trick.
          With any luck, what ever is lodged in the trap beneath the tup will get sucked into the vac.
          Lots of Luck…MOE

Participant

Hmmmmm Im not sure I would mix a shop vac and strong chemicals,doesnt sound very safe or professional for that matter.Just a thought…..

Participant

Maj; Most master plumbers have the experience to do what is required to clear a stoppage in a bathtub.
              It is my understanding that there are some indiduals that may not be experienced in the service aspect of our Industry.
              If an unschooled person was to run a cable and cuter through the waste and overflow and rupture an old lead drum trap or waste branch, I would be deluged with letters berating my very sensitive personage for making such an error in judgement.
              Whether it seems a professional approach or not
              may be a valid issue with those who do not service older buildings that have fragile old lead piping that can easily be damaged with too vigorous a method.
              I use a 6.25 hp Rigid Wet-Dry for doing this type of work and find that does a fantastic job with out creating any additional woes for an already anxious owner.
              To date I have had so problems with chemicals or electricity from using my vac-technique to clear stoppages in sink and lav traps and waste arms as well.
              MOE

Participant

Moe
                Experience doesn’t make one a master plumber,I know several very experienced plumbers that do some very sorry work. Now Majt2 tells us his bathtub drain is plugged up.He doesn’t tell us how old his house is,or if he has lead,copper,plastic or cast iron waste piping so I wouldn’t or didn’t make any suggestions on how to clear his drain.Nor would I without more information.If for instance he has a lead waste from his tub and it is in bad shape it is possible you will damage it when you turn on your
                6.25 hp Rigid vac.If the drain has a stubborn stoppage and the lead is weak that much vacum could cause a problem.Or suppose the vac doesn’t suck the stoppage loose,then what happens when it is turned off? At the very least safety glasses and protective clothing should have been advised with your suggestion.Your method seems a bit extreme for a first suggestion.Several suggestions come to mind,but not knowing how handy or mechanically inclined majt2 is I wouldn’t want to suggest any course of action because of the chemicals.Liquid Plumber does nasty things to some flooring and wall coverings not to mention eyes and such.
                As for your assumption that I have no service work experience,you know what they say when you chose to assume.
                Majt2 I agree with Moe on one thing, most master plumbers will have the know how to take care of your tub drain. My suggestion is you find a reputable one and give him or her a call.

Participant

Maj: A thousand pardons senor, I had know idea you were stating a hypothetical bathtub stoppage scenario case for the purpose of educing practical answers from professional plumbers.
                  Nor did I know that you are a plumber, nor did I assume anything other than the question posed was from some poor single Mom trying to make ends meet with scant fiscal assets.
                  There was no assuption that you lacked the skills of a good Tradesman. There was no intent
                  to do anything but offer information to some poor soul who may not have a clue as what to do, and no money to do anything about it, even if she did.
                  Now, having said all that, if you still feel offended over an imaginary slight..get over it.
                  After over sixty years in this trade, I still am open to new means and methods of dealing with plumbing, gas and HVAC problems.
                  Not taking adequate precautions to stay alive while drive a car or crossing the street is not an issue that adults must spend all their waking hours pondering.
                  If OSHA was to be the ruler of the World, the
                  human race would be come extinct, because of the inherent dangers that are associated with everyday activities, we would no longer be able to those thing needed to perpetuate the species.
                  If a poster on this forum asks a question that needs an answer, we can’t go to that persons home and make an on site inspection of whasup.
                  And it would be just as impossible to accurately determine the posters mechanical apptitude or IQ.
                  Questions from would be DIY gas fitters are of course a horse of a different colour, and they should be given an admonition to secure help from a licensed professional at the risk of death by flame, explosion or asphyxiation.
                  If someone asks me what time it is, I don’t feel compelled to explain the entire history on watch making from ancient times to the present.
                  I hope I have laid to rest any perception that may arisen over my inability to adequately communicate a response to the question in question.
                  An in fact, there are many good solid Master
                  Plumbers that know only the construction end of the biz, and amazingly little about service work.
                  MOE

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This