HELP!!!! Galvanized Pipes to Copper or CPVC????

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing HELP!!!! Galvanized Pipes to Copper or CPVC????

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I have a home in upstate NY.., closing in 2 days and come to find out there is no water pressure due to either the dead beat tenants that lived there for 6 mths or possible galvanized pipes that need to go copper. If my problem is the pipes… is there any way getting around the pressure part without re-piping? I am getting prices from $700.- to $4,000.!!!! Knowing next to nothing about plumbing, I read Home Depot’s site in reference to CPVC being an alternative to copper. Is this true and what is the price difference? Keep in mind we need to close on this house and the less this costs us the better… having to do repairs from dead beat tenants and now this! Appreciate any input!null

Participant

Its not the cost of the tubing its the cots of the labor yuo can do the hole house an not pay much fr tube. It culd tak a hole week to do the hole huose, so it culd cost 40 hrs times 70 or even more.

Participant

Thanks for the input. I figured the labor is high. It’s a very small house,one bath, plus no basement which seems to be a real pain when I’ve mentioned that. Would snaking inside and out to the street help, just to get me closed on the house? Thanks!!!!

Participant

If its galvnized pips then snaking can push holes its best to get it don cuse the next oners can come back to sue for houses arent sold asis anymore.

Participant

Is the water pressure low throught the house or just on several plumbing fixtures? If only on several fixtures, it could be that the aerators are clogged with rust, etc. If the whole house, it could be the yard line (main water service to the house) that is rusted shut. Have a license plumber take a look at it. Some times you can do a partial re-pipe (replace only the horizonal lines, because they usually rust first). But I don’t recommend it. John

» This message has been edited by Rider Rooter & Plumbing on 02 August 2002

Participant

Thank you! Beleive it or not, I had 4 different Plumbers go out yesterday and ALL FOUR told me something totally different. From your pressure is fine to an estimate of $4,000.00. One told me I have copper inside but galvanized out, the other told me I have galvanized in but copper out. Not sure who to beleive! I can’t imagine that all 4 have a totally different estimates! Needless to say, I am going with the guy who said your pressure is fine. He is going to put it in writing and submit it to my Attorney. God willing we close early next week. How can 4 professional Plumbers have totally different opinions? That is ridiculous! I feel they are trying to rip me off because I am out of state!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This