Gas hot water heater

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Gas hot water heater

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      bearlee1

A friend installed a new gas water heater for me. Water was dripping from the drain valve after he installed the new water heater. A local store recommended that he install an expansion tank. He picked up the wrong expansion tank. It was for a boiler. Unfortunately, when he hooked up the wrong expansion tank, my water turned brown (a rusty color) and smelled unusual but not a sulfur smell. Maybe a rubber or chemical smell. I can’t describe the smell. It also sounded like my pipes were going to explode when the boiler expansion tank was connected to my water heater. My friend removed the wrong expansion tank when I complained that the water was brown and had a strange smell. He installed the proper expansion tank. This corrected the dripping, however I still have an unusual smell to my water even after my friend flushed the tank numerous times. I feel like whatever was pushed into my water by this boiler expansion tank is still causing a smell. This smell seems to be seriously affecting my allergies so I now have to purchase bottled water. I have contacted numerous people that I know in the plumbing and/or heating business and nobody seems to know why my water would still smell. It is my understanding that the incorrect boiler expansion tank was some type phosphate or phosphorous tank. The color of the boiler expansion tank was brown. I have city water. I know nothing about water heaters/expansion tanks so I hope this makes sense. Any ideas or suggestions?
      Frustrated!

robertgf
      Participant

you say that you are now purchasing bottled water, does this mean that both the hot and cold water is affected? or are you drinking hot water if you are stop hot water from the tap is not to be consumed

NickHydro
      Participant

A boilrpanshun tank rusts wen it is in drinkn water cause the water touchs the metle tank and skweeses the difragm from the outside. A drinkin water tank dosnt rust cuz water fils the ruber inside so watr dosnt touch the metle.

SylvanLMP
      Participant

In reply to message posted by plumber:
      A friend installed a new gas water heater for me. Water was dripping from the drain valve after he installed the new water heater. A local store recommended that he install an expansion tank. He picked up the wrong expansion tank. It was for a boiler. Unfortunately, when he hooked up the wrong expansion tank, my water turned brown (a rusty color) and smelled unusual but not a sulfur smell. Maybe a rubber or chemical smell. I can’t describe the smell. It also sounded like my pipes were going to explode when the boiler expansion tank was connected to my water heater. My friend removed the wrong expansion tank when I complained that the water was brown and had a strange smell. He installed the proper expansion tank. This corrected the dripping, however I still have an unusual smell to my water even after my friend flushed the tank numerous times. I feel like whatever was pushed into my water by this boiler expansion tank is still causing a smell. This smell seems to be seriously affecting my allergies so I now have to purchase bottled water. I have contacted numerous people that I know in the plumbing and/or heating business and nobody seems to know why my water would still smell. It is my understanding that the incorrect boiler expansion tank was some type phosphate or phosphorous tank. The color of the boiler expansion tank was brown. I have city water. I know nothing about water heaters/expansion tanks so I hope this makes sense. Any ideas or suggestions?
      Frustrated!

No problem I understand completly exactly what is going on here.

Belteshazzar1
      Participant

You could get an under sink water filter. Get the best element you can afford to filter heavy metals and other contaminates. If you get a filter,it will save you money. Much cheaper per gallon than bottled water even if you pay $30 or $40 for the filter. And besides its possible you may never get rid of the contaminates. It could even be a problem with the city water and just coincidence that the taste and odor of the water changed after you installed the expansion tank.

» This message has been edited by Belteshazzar on 15 June 2002

plumber
      Participant

In reply to message posted by Belteshazzar:
      You could get an under sink water filter. Get the best element you can afford to filter heavy metals and other contaminates. If you get a filter,it will save you money. Much cheaper per gallon than bottled water even if you pay $30 or $40 for the filter. And besides its possible you may never get rid of the contaminates. It could even be a problem with the city water and just coincidence that the taste and odor of the water changed after you installed the expansion tank.

» This message has been edited by Belteshazzar on 15 June 2002

plumber
      Participant

To Belteshazzar:
      Thank you for the response. I previously received a quote for water purifier system (from a well known company). The cost for the purifier is approximately $1000. I felt it was very expensive and I wasn’t sure their system would even resolve my problem until you replied. Thanks

plumber
      Participant

To NickHydro:
      Thanks for the information! Very interesting. Would this be why I have the unusual smell? If so, do you think it will disappear?
      Thank you!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This