water heater problem

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing water heater problem

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I had purchased a White water heater about 1 year ago. It soon started to make a sulphur or rotten egg smell only on the hot side. The cold water is fine. My dealer said to replace the anode rod which I have done. The original rod was 90% erroded away. The water was fine for about two weeks after but it smelling terrible again. My origianl heater was about 17 years old and had never caused this problem. What can I do?

Participant

Have you thought of having your water tested pH Ta dum…….

Participant

I have that at my house once in a while.
            its a natural occuring thing from the raw water.
            hydrogen sulfide is the by product of bacteria that produce hydrogen sulfide during its life cycle.
            I have well water, and its much more common in houses that use well water.
            It is also common in houses that sit vacant for long periods of time.
            the reason your guy told you to change your anode rod was that the anode rod reacts with all the metals of your water heater to keep the elctrons Nuetral to keep down electrolysis and extend the life of your heater. This rod also aids in the production of the hydrogen sulfide by its break down…Or something like that.
            chorination of the system is the only remedy, but you can buy different anode rod material that is less reactive and doesnt produce as much by product…But I cant remember if your supposed to change the aluminum rod to magnesium, or visa versa?
            Anyway, its not harmful in small amounts, and the human body can smell it WAY before it becomes toxic!
            you can add bleach to your heater manually, let it sit, then flush the whole heater or get an aoutomatic chlorinator at the heater, and then add a filter to remove the chlorine AFTER the heater…But I just deal with it and tell my girlfriend that its just my dirty socks that are making the smell!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This