The Flexing and Creaking Tub

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing The Flexing and Creaking Tub

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Bartley Burnette

Recently moved into a new house (2 months ago).

The fiberglass tub has developed a creak when entering the tub — after the shower has warmed the tub the creak disappears. Is this an issue?

Related to this, should the amount of flex from the tub be noticeable – not being a small guy (200+ pounds) I would expect some flex, but should I notice it while having a shower?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
      Shamski

SylvanLMP
      Participant

Any fiberglass tub I have installed never moved even when a 300 pounder went into it.

A moving tub will crack the grouting and cause moisture problems LIKE a breeding place for mold as moisture can seep behind the space where the water seeped in

Mold is a very serious problem (Health issues)
      NO WAY should a tub move, slip or move

Shamski
      Participant

Thanks SylvanLMP.
      It is not so much that the tub moves, but that I can feel the bottom of the tub flex with my feet as I move. I have never noticed this in any tubs I have had previously.

If it was moving, the builder would be replacing.

Thanks,
      Kevin.

SylvanLMP
      Participant
      Quote:
      In reply to message posted by Shamski:
      Thanks SylvanLMP.
      It is not so much that the tub moves, but that I can feel the bottom of the tub flex with my feet as I move. I have never noticed this in any tubs I have had previously.

If it was moving, the builder would be replacing.

Thanks,Kevin

When I set my tubs I make sure the carpenters use 3/4 CDX plywood under the tub.

I personally nail the tub to the stringer I have installed along the length of the tub.

I have a firm footing installed with TWO upright braces and a 2 4 under the tub lip for added support.

THEN I have the tile guy set motor under the tub and have at least a 2″ cement depth (not so deep on Cast Iron).

Fixtures are not meant to flex

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This