no hot water -help!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing no hot water -help!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

My reliance 100 water heater just stopped giving hot water. I check breakers, no go. It’s about 9 years old, appears good.We do have heavy lime in our water here, could be heating elements??? I also, need to know if I (novice) might fix myself?? Thanks, I need help!!!!

Participant

Lime kills them so get a newr one cause the warrante is no good and get a new one. Fixin youself is getting a shock from 220.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
          Participant

NickHydro. We recently had a Solar HWS that was calcified up to the extent it would not heat, we approached Rheem with the question of circulating vinegar through the HWS to clear the calsium, they agrred & said that the Kiwis had much joy using this method. Worth a try?
            Regards Bob

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
            Participant

NickHydro. Further to my earlier post, when we recirculated vinegar through the solar panels the vinegar changed colour to a aqua blue with large consentrations of salt, took about 3 hrs but solar panels now work. It seems to me that the change in colour must be from the slight removal of copper fron inside the panels so this could be a consideration to get a owner to indemnify against early failure?
              Regards Bob

Participant

I agree that you dont want to work on this yourself!
                But an (honest) plumber will use a multimeter (with the power off orf course) and check for continuity by touching the leads to both posts of the element(s) to see if the element has burst, and also he can touch the metal tank and one of the posts to see if it has grounded out to the tank.
                if both elements are good, the high limit of one of the thermostats could have “thrown”..wich usually meens a bad thermostat.
                all in all, if this thing is over 9 years…It may be cheaper to get a new one and have it serviced regularly! (flushed and anode rod inspected) especially in hard water inviroments.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This