Hot water heater problem-VERY Hot water

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Hot water heater problem-VERY Hot water

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I have a Reliance hot water heater. It was overheating and the top thermostat was shutting the unit off. I replaced the top and bottom thermostats. Still having same problem. It’s a 220 v with a 5500 watt element. Any ideas? [email protected]

Participant

Ef yuo have the same problem, then you probly put in new part an didnt change the wires that is wrong.

Participant

thanks…but I replaced the thermostats with the same wiring that worked for years correctly. The hwh is 6 years old and I duplicated the wiring exactly. Anyone else?

Participant

Yuo have to find out were the electric is going maybe throu a broke elment.

Participant

make sure the litle metal disk on the backside of your thermostats are TIGHT up against the metal tank so they read the temperature correctly.
                My first thought was that you accidently wired an element direct as well, but you stated that you replaced the wiring back the same as original.
                If your thermostats are held in place TIGHT against the tank and they are not shuting off, and its wired right, you may have just bought another defective thermostat.
                I have had this happen more than once.
                They are pretty fragile, and theres not much inside them..just a small disk of metal that concaves at a given temperature that throws a little plastic switch…I have bought BRAND NEW thermostats that were faulty on more than one ocassion.

Participant

I just re-read your original message, and just thought of something else.
                  A lot of thermostats will come with removable “jumpers” on them.
                  (just under the screws that holds the wires in place) They are there to be modified for either single element or dual element heaters.
                  You could have put the wires back in the same spots as original, but there may be a “jumper” on the new thermostats that you did not remove that would direct wire an element.
                  Check your wire diagram again, and look to see if there is a jumper where there shouldnt be one.

You can test your elements by shutting off the power, put both leads of a continuity tester on the two posts of the element. You get continuity if the element is intact. Now leave one lead on one of the posts and touch the other lead to the metal tank. You should NOT get continuity there. If you do get cotinuity, the element has grounded itself to the tank, and needs to be replaced.
                  Anyway, good luck with the thing..I cant think of anything else at the moment…
                  (If you even still care…haha)
                  Peace.

» This message has been edited by Bruce T on 01 June 2002

» This message has been edited by Bruce T on 01 June 2002

Participant

Thanks, I will try both ideas. I did notice jumpers, so that (hopefully) is it. I’ll let you know and thanks for the help.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This