Tub Drain Removal

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Tub Drain Removal

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have a drain in the bottom of fiberglass tub / shower that is leaking. I purchased a tub drain remover that is a zinc die cast tool with 4 prongs on each end. In theory the prongs are made to lock on to the drain’s struts for removable. The struts were badly corroded and I ended up shearing the struts off. How do I get this drain out of the bottom of the tub? [email protected]

Participant

DAMN I hate when that happens! I have had to use a sawzall with a small metal blade to notch the inside of the drain piece.cut out a small section without cutting too deeply into the females threads of the shoe.
          this makes it a lot easier to unscrew. Use a flat screwdriver and tap it with a hammer on the edge of the newly cut piece to unscrew.

Participant

In reply to message posted by [email protected]:
            I have a drain in the bottom of fiberglass tub / shower that is leaking. I purchased a tub drain remover that is a zinc die cast tool with 4 prongs on each end. In theory the prongs are made to lock on to the drain’s struts for removable. The struts were badly corroded and I ended up shearing the struts off. How do I get this drain out of the bottom of the tub? [email protected]

Very easy fix for a pluumber BUT if your not used to it dont even try cutting it out with a recip saw.

Takes practice not to destroy the tub

Participant

In reply to message posted by Bruce T:
              DAMN I hate when that happens! I have had to use a sawzall with a small metal blade to notch the inside of the drain piece.cut out a small section without cutting too deeply into the females threads of the shoe.
              this makes it a lot easier to unscrew. Use a flat screwdriver and tap it with a hammer on the edge of the newly cut piece to unscrew.

Perfect, Im glad you were able to do it YOU just saved yourself a few hundred dollars.

Congradulations you are good

Participant

I use an inside spud wrench when that happens.Works great and saves alot of time.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This