Toilet STILL starts running

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Toilet STILL starts running

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I am unsure why my toilet is STILL running. Here are the symptoms. After flushing it works fine, it stops perfectly. After about 8 hours or so it starts to run again.

First I replaced the flapper, piece of cake, I thought it worked but 12 hours later, it was running again.

I then replaced the entire inlet valve and stem, and figured I was done. Nope, 12 hours later it was running again.

Then I figured there was a leak around the flapper seat or the overflow pipe. And I replaced all of that. 12 hours later, running again.

Now there is NOTHING that hasn’t been replaced inside that toilet, what can it be?

Any suggestions? Tonight I’m going to add a colored dye to the water to see if it is leaking anywhere, but I’m a bit skeptical…

Dave

Participant

NEXT TIME THE TANK STARTS LEAKING LOOK TO SEE IF THE WATER LEVEL IS HIGHER OR LOWER THAN THE OVERFLOW PIPE IF IT IS LOWER THE WATER IS LEAKING PAST SOMETHING IN THE TANK IF IT IS HIGHER THEN THE BALLCOCK IS PASSING WATER

Participant

Thanks for the reply, up till yesterday, the water was always lower. But on Sunday, I replaced the flapper seat, and on Monday it was running again. But after flushing it Monday morning, it has not started to run again. I’m wondering if it takes time for the rubber flapper to settle into place on the flapper seat (time to mold it self to the seat because of the water pressure). So, so far, it seems to be working.

Thanks,
            Dave

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This