Replacing kitchen sink

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Replacing kitchen sink

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

We have an 17 year old 33×22 stainless steel sink and the bowls are only 6″ deep. I want to replace with 33×22 granite composite sink, but the bowls are not the same size. The left is 9 1/2″ deep and the right is 8″ deep.

Is this something that we can do ourselves, or are there major plumbing changes that need to be made?

Am I going to encounter any problems with trying this? THANK YOU!

Participant

In reply to message posted by Sue44:
          We have an 17 year old 33×22 stainless steel sink and the bowls are only 6″ deep. I want to replace with 33×22 granite composite sink, but the bowls are not the same size. The left is 9 1/2″ deep and the right is 8″ deep.

Is this something that we can do ourselves, or are there major plumbing changes that need to be made?

Am I going to encounter any problems with trying this? THANK YOU!

Hey Sue, other then the obvious height difference a lot of the sinks installed using granite composite types of counter are placed under the counter and are not the self rim type.

Another problem is the age 17 years can mean some of the tubular fittings maybe at the end of their life expediency.

This is one of the jobs you should give to a plumber to install and have the counter top set by a carpenter/marble man.

Care also has to be taken as to which type of putty/caulking you can use as some contain oils and can stain your new counter top.

You should also replace the faucet and duo strainers.

When the old sink is removed and prior to installation of the new counter top and sink I would also strongly suggest now is the time to snake out or water jet the waste line.

Good luck and Enjoy your new kitchen .. Sylvan

Participant

Thanks! The sink is self rimmed, just drops in. We are purchasing all new faucets, hot water dispenser, etc. I am just concerned about having to punch a hole in the sheet rock due to the plumbing changes that will have to be made.

Participant

In reply to message posted by Sue44:
              Thanks! The sink is self rimmed, just drops in. We are purchasing all new faucets, hot water dispenser, etc. I am just concerned about having to punch a hole in the sheet rock due to the plumbing changes that will have to be made.

Hi Sue, If your installing a hot water dispenser like an ISE etc.

Check to make sure the COLD water supply to is has its own shut off valve and for Petes sake NO PIERCING Valves.

You should also have your water tested for pH as water with a lot of minerals will coat the inside of the H/W tank and render it useless with mineral deposits.

Now is the time to decide if you want a pull out spray faucet like a PricePfister or a seperate hose and of course you can also go for all the little things women should have by a kitchen sink

You can have a soap dispencer installed and a hand lotion dispencer a seperate spout for filtered cold water.

Hey its only ideas as you dont get these kind of options very often Have fun

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This