Hot showers?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Hot showers?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

When taking a shower and cold water is turned on elseware in the house (toilet flush etc.) the shower becomes unbearably hot. Is there a plumbing fix to correct this problem?

Participant

In reply to message posted by John L. O:
          When taking a shower and cold water is turned on elseware in the house (toilet flush etc.) the shower becomes unbearably hot. Is there a plumbing fix to correct this problem?

Of course there is a simple cure to this very serious problem.

Depending on what part of the planet your from.

In the civilized parts of the globe like America and Canada.

We have perfected pressure balance types of shower body’s like Delta, PriceFister (Black and Decker), Symmons, Moen to name a few of the brands that are easy to service and install.

Symmons does also offer one with the integral stop already installed for easy isolation.

Now if you really want to protect yourself and your loved ones consider spending a little more money and get not only a pressure balance type BUT a temperature control also.

Many low life’s do not bother to think safety when they install showerbody’s and there are slug lawyers looking to pounce on these degenerates to put them out of existence.

Sort of snakes eating other snakes

Participant

Sounds like a blockage in the cold line coming in to the house. Is the cold water supply pipe in to the house galvanised steel ??

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

How new is the installation? Has this just started happening? There is a pressure loss in the plumbing somewhere and you can fix the shower as suggested by Sylvan and/or find out what is causing the loss. It may be a resriction in the line or the reducing valve may not be capable of good flow to overcome some of the pressure loss.

Participant

In reply to message posted by johnws:
                How new is the installation? Has this just started happening? There is a pressure loss in the plumbing somewhere and you can fix the shower as suggested by Sylvan and/or find out what is causing the loss. It may be a resriction in the line or the reducing valve may not be capable of good flow to overcome some of the pressure loss.

John,John, John PLEASE READ THIS AGAIN ok Mate?

“Now if you really want to protect yourself and your loved ones consider spending a little more money and get not only a pressure balance type BUT a temperature control also.”

I know your from Australia and your codes are very lax as illustrated many times on here so it is not your fault.

If you see I put TEMPERATURE and PRESSURE balance

which means I could careless what pipe restrictions are present as A QUALITY Made tap will allow for BOTH T&P fluctuations ok mate PLEASE feel free to join my list to get a REAL education in plumbing and protecting the people.

Participant

Sylvan,

The Kiwi’ are a proud race, dont call ’em Aussies

And as you know, tempering valves have been compulsory on Australian installations for years now.

tut tut tut, giving out misleading information.

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

In reply to message posted by bungie:
                    Sylvan,

The Kiwi’ are a proud race, dont call ’em Aussies

And as you know, tempering valves have been compulsory on Australian installations for years now.

Sir you just proved my point AGAIN you blokes are at least 15-20 YEARS behind the times.

Tempering valves have been used here during the early 1950’s

A “tempering Valve” will not provide scaldi
                    > I also want
                    > them to be aware that (whether it’s an accident or on purpose) someone
                    > might
                    > be messing around with the pipes.
                    >
                    > Thanks again!!
                    r
                    tut tut tut, giving out misleading information.

Sir, you have proven my point AGAIN you blokes are at least 15-20 years way behind the times.

You see kind sir “tempering valves” have been in use here during the early 1950s

What we professionals did learn is tempering valves DO NOT protect against sudden pressure changes or rapid temperature fluctuations.

For real protection we use PRESSURE BALANCING VALVES or Temperature balancing valves Or a combination of BOTH.

Possibly in the next 25 years you blokes MAY get to a standard of plumbing protection we are blessed with here NOW.

We had flat rate pricing for over 100 years and YET you folks are just now getting involved with it?

We have codes and fantastic training much like our Canadian neighbors.

I think you need to concern yourself more on learning how to do plumbing/drainage then trying to learn pricing applications.

Thankfully with the influx of folks from South Africa and the Middle East I am sure these new folks moving in will help you Aussies get a higher education and standard in the trades.

Now if you can get Europeans to drop in to your country then you will even have not only sciences BUT an appreciation for the arts like Opera,ballet and civilized plumbing systems and a great taste for fine wine instead of the rot gut you wankers drink.. Ever think of trying GREAT German beer?.

Have a great one mate (G’Day)

Participant

Sylvan, I did say that, quote “you could fix the shower as suggested by Sylvan”. However this seems to be the standard plumbers “quick fix”, fix the symptom not the problem. Yes like Aussie, we Kiwi’s have tempering valves as part of our regulations (10 years here)and they are a great method of preventing scalding. The problem can be that if the supplies are not balanced some models cannot cope. A thermostatic mixing valve would be a better valve in that situation. You will also note that John L O said that only when the cold water was turned on elsewhere in the house the problem occurred.

There are too many unanswered questions from John L O to give a definitive answer:
                      1. Has the problem been from original installation?
                      2. If not, when did the problem start – was there some plumbing done?, some maintenace done on the water supply by the water authority?, Is there a blocked strainer?, or as Bungie suggested is there a galvanised water main?, is the reducing valve working properly?, is the plumbing done correctly?

Sylvan, for the sake of repeating myself, yes you can fix the shower but how about diagnosing that problem that is causing the shower temperature to fluctuate when another fixture is used.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                      Participant

Sylvan. Tut Tut. Although the USA being the only civilsed country in the world that has developed balancing & temperature control since 1965, it is also not law it seems to be a licensed Plumber to carry out Plumbing and the fragmentation & different Code areas defy my uncivilised brain.
                        In Australia it is LAW to be a Plumber & no person is allowed to interfere with plumbing unless they are licensed. It is also LAW to install tempering valves to any new installation.
                        We dont seem to have the *********** you often talk about but hey they create work for you dont they?
                        In Australia we work to one Standard although in each different State there is slightly different methods of interpretation.
                        Bob the Uncivilised Plumber

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                        Participant

Sylvan. Tut Tut. Although the USA being the only civilsed country in the world that has developed balancing & temperature control since 1965, it is also not law it seems to be a licensed Plumber to carry out Plumbing and the fragmentation & different Code areas defy my uncivilised brain.
                          In Australia it is LAW to be a Plumber & no person is allowed to interfere with plumbing unless they are licensed. It is also LAW to install tempering valves to any new installation.
                          We dont seem to have the *********** you often talk about but hey they create work for you dont they?
                          In Australia we work to one Standard although in each different State there is slightly different methods of interpretation.
                          Bob the Uncivilised Plumber

Participant

Bless the folks who have made the shower body BUY BACK program a reality SEE below

» This message has been edited by SylvanLMP on 21 May 2002

Participant

» This message has been edited by Moderator on 21 May 2002

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This