dripping drain valve on Water Heater

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing dripping drain valve on Water Heater

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

I have a dripping Drain valve on my Rheem Water Heater. Would greatly appreciate if folks out there could suggest the remedy for this.

thanks in advance.
        –Sridhar

Participant

In reply to message posted by skaruturi:
          Hello,

I have a dripping Drain valve on my Rheem Water Heater. Would greatly appreciate if folks out there could suggest the remedy for this.

thanks in advance.
          –Sridhar

According to your profile it says “engineer”

As an engineer I am sure you are aware of the ASME (American Society Mechanical Engineers) code especially section IV Or the NBBI
          (National board boiler inspectors)

You can appreciate why giving information out, sight unseen regarding a fired or even an unfired pressure vessel is a very dangerous practice.

A leaking temperature/pressure could be a sign of several problems.

A leaking “blow down” valve located on the bottom of the tank can be either replaced AFTER the gas/electric power is off and the tank allowed to cool then drained THEN this valve should be replaced with a decent quality brass boiler cock like a Nibco or a Wolverine brass hose bib.

For a stop gap approach you can buy a brass hose bib cap with washer to stop the dripping for now.

Good luck and be careful…..

Participant

He’s gonna have kittens no matter how i word this so …

NEVER block off a dripping valve on a hot water system. Please get a plumber to check it out. Yes I know he said “Drain valve” but with out seeing it to be sure that is exactly the part we are talking about.

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
            Participant

Sokitume. In Australia Rheem always state that a HT55 valve should drip at least 1 litre per day, A HT55 valve is a high temp & over press relief valve, When water is heated, it expands – & therefore the valve releases the additional pressure. Any Relief valve is a safety valve & should never!! ever!! be blocked or capped.
              You could check your incoming pressure & possibly install a Press limit valve & also a cold water pressure relief valve, but call a Licensed Rheem plumber to be sure.
              Bob

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This