replacing section of pipe in shower

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing replacing section of pipe in shower

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Avatar photoSylvanLMP.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I recently discovered a water leak in one of the copper pipes in our shower. The leak is at the “T” junction which connects the outlet of both taps with the pipe leading up to the shower head.
        I notice that the pipe at that point has developed a very fine crack, probably due to stresses involved in the original installation 6 years ago, as a result, I am not confident that a simple solder repair will fix the problem permanantly, as other cracks may form along the same pipe at a later point in time.
        The problem I have is that I would like to replace the entire section of pipe joining the taps with a T piece connecting back into the shower head pipe, however given the short length and confined space, not to mention that I wish to minimise damage to tiles etc, I am not certain how to proceed or what the best solution would be.
        I have a feeling that if I try to replace the pipe with 2 smaller pieces connected together with a “T” junction and the shower head pipe, it will be difficult to try and assemble the whole lot together.
        I would be realy grateful if someone could suggest the best method to resolve this problem.

Regards
        Tony

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
        Participant

Tony. You havn’t mentioned your country. But I believe the conditions in Australia would be generally the same,if you have home insurance.
          In Australia, It is illegal for a person to interfere with Plumbing. A customer will ring me as a Licensed Plumber & request me to find the cause of the water damage to the tiles & wall, I would attend the Shower & investigate first with external investigation, if unable to fix from external I would explore by removing a section of the wall, when the problem was fixed the home owner would lodge a claim for damage caused by the (1) leak, (2) exploration. The home owner would be responsible for the repair, this is normally by replacement of the offending item. The insurance company”s rep or assessor would determine the reinstatement necessary then arrange for quotes to reinstate back to original, the insurers are responsible for the reinstatement.
          By interfering with your plumbing you have successfully negated any claim, but you now ask professional Licensed Plumbers how to fix the problem.
          The best answer I as a fully Licensed Plumber can give is to call a reputable licensed plumber.
          Regards Bob

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
          Participant

Tony. You havn’t mentioned your country. But I believe the conditions in Australia would be generally the same,if you have home insurance.
            In Australia, It is illegal for a person to interfere with Plumbing. A customer will ring me as a Licensed Plumber & request me to find the cause of the water damage to the tiles & wall, I would attend the Shower & investigate first with external investigation, if unable to fix from external I would explore by removing a section of the wall, when the problem was fixed the home owner would lodge a claim for damage caused by the (1) leak, (2) exploration. The home owner would be responsible for the repair, this is normally by replacement of the offending item. The insurance company”s rep or assessor would determine the reinstatement necessary then arrange for quotes to reinstate back to original, the insurers are responsible for the reinstatement.
            By interfering with your plumbing you have successfully negated any claim, but you now ask professional Licensed Plumbers how to fix the problem.
            The best answer I as a fully Licensed Plumber can give is to call a reputable licensed plumber.
            Regards Bob

Participant

Robert, you brought up a very valid point.

This past week I was called to investigate a leak in a ceiling in a mansion owned by a doctor.

I hired a carpenter to open the ceiling below the bathroom in question and we found the leak.

The insurance company was called and within an hour they called my office.

Lucky I do have a great relationship with several insurance companies and the agent said what do I think has to be done.

I explained about all the water damage to the floor beams and walls and how I have to remove the existing tub to let the carpenter (insured and licensed) remove the old sheet rock walls and replace them with wonder board (cement boards)

The tiled floors have to be broken up and the tub removed.

Since the walls have to be opened we are going to install a code approved anti scald shower body new toilet new vanity and new tub.

The total cost for all this work is the doctors deductible ($500) plus the new fixtures

Cast Iron 5 ft tub $300 toilet $65 and the vanity and sink he picks out.

ALL the labour is completely covered for the time to locate the leak and all the labor to install the fixtures.

Imagine getting a complete new bathroom tiles, etc., for under $1,800 and a much better job then the 22 year old original.

Ah the joys of using licensed and insured legitimate contractors working hand in hand with a reputable insurance company.

Knowing the contractor I sub contracted the openings to was licensed and insured made the job go so easily.

I love home owners doing most of the work as nothing is covered on their labor AND if anything should go sour it is their problem as they did the opening and like one bloke when opening a floor he cut another copper line with his reciprocating saw really created more work for everyone.

Since the home center came within 3 miles of my office I have more then trippled my “emergency calls” on the week ends getting double time for week end work which is common practice as we also love our time off

Imagine trying to hold back the smile when you say it will cost you $250 per hr per mechanic, Sir it is truly a shame sir you didnt call a licensed person 1st during the normal working hours you could have saved yourself a lot of time and aggravation

I hope more and more folks buy how to do their own work ESPECIALLY gas and heating.

This lady hired a handyman, to just install a stove and $8,500 later we finally had the place livable again.

Please, Robert tell these folks sure no problem get a big hammer bust out a big enough opening so you can safely solder without burning the place down get a fire extinguisher ready just in case and buy a how to book and do all your home improvements on the week ends and after hours.

After all home centers create jobs for everyone and we should be on the stand by when things do go wrong which they always seem to do.

It is almost to the point I no longer have to even think about working Monday – Friday as the week ends are fantastic considering Saturday is double time and Sunday is tripple time, so on the week ends my guys make a full weeks pay for 14 hours GOT to love it Robert

On my trucks it says it big bold letters “We repair what your husband tried to fix” Smile be happy

Participant

Sylvan, Have you ever read some of your postings? You sound like such a loser.

Participant

Wallingford,you trying to cause hate and discontent again? Go back where you came from ,we dont need it.

» This message has been edited by racefanone on 09 April 2002

Participant

In reply to message posted by Wallingford Plm+Htg:
                    Sylvan, Have you ever read some of your postings? You sound like such a loser.

Hey FRAUD WALL how are you doing Helper.. EVER get any formal training like I suggested?

Well FRAUD please EXPLAIN about calibrating the Leslie valve I asked you about ok P&H guy

My my a BUM by any other OFF THE WALL FRAUD is still a FRAUD

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This