Threaded Pipe Headache

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Threaded Pipe Headache

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I have a 1 1/4″ NPT pipe that originates from my boiler’s supply outlet. Because I wish to make some modifications to my heating system, I am trying to remove this pipe and install a longer pipe. However, when I tried to remove this pipe with a pipe wrench, any torque I applied would cause the boiler to start moving. Therefore I abandon this idea, fearing that I can damage the boiler. My next game plan was to extend the pipe using a coupler. However, before I can do this, I have to remove an elbow piece on top of the pipe. Unfortunately that bad boy is in pretty good! My next idea is to get a strong buddy to help me. Using pipes with the pipe wrenchs pulling opposite ways maybe I will get lucky. Will heating the elbow with a torch help, or will it make it worse? Is there any other tricks of the trade that help when removing NPT piping?

Yours Truly
        Joe

Participant

oe the “tricks of the trade” have a lot to do with the kind of heating system we encounter.

For example if it is a steam system properly installed the fittings would be cast Iron and easily cracked with a heavy hammer with a wrench holding back.

If it is hot water system the installer could have also used cast fittings Or black malleable which will not break when hitting them.

I normally just take a sharp chisel and possibly a reciprocating saw and cut out the piping at the boiler very carefully and start my new piping from there.

Just be careful as not to crack the cast Iron bossing at the boiler.

It actually takes me longer to explain how to do it then actually cut it out or cave in the threads with the chisel CAREFULLY.

SylvanLMP

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This