Raise toilet?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Raise toilet?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

My Father is 81 and living in a Commision house in Canberra. The seal between his cistern and bowl could not be replaced because of the age of the toilet, fitted in 1973, so the commision replaced it with the standard toilet that they now carry. However, it is about 1 1/2″ lower than the old one. He is not very mobile and even with
        a hand rail, finds it near impossible to raise himself off of the seat. Is there a “thick” toilet seat on the market that would raise him higher? Or have you any advice?

Participant

From your local Medical Supplies you can get a seat and frame that fits over the toilet. This helps two fold, 1/ Its higher 2/ It has hand rails closer to his hips to help him get up

Like this

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

Not a very “Citizens with Disabilities” friendly Commision is it? Any good plumber or other organization would normally replace a handicapped height toilet with the same thing. I just did so yesterday, and it was in a store without handicapped people and little chance of needing the extra height, but the proper thing was to replace the existing with the same design.

Participant

Beneke makes a 4 1/2 ” raised closet seat.Ithink they would be a bear to keep clean.Sexauer handles them.Alocal plbg.shop should be able to get you one.They are costly.

Participant

In reply to message posted by Chris Buckley:
                My Father is 81 and living in a Commision house in Canberra. The seal between his cistern and bowl could not be replaced because of the age of the toilet, fitted in 1973, so the commision replaced it with the standard toilet that they now carry. However, it is about 1 1/2″ lower than the old one. He is not very mobile and even with
                a hand rail, finds it near impossible to raise himself off of the seat. Is there a “thick” toilet seat on the market that would raise him higher? Or have you any advice?

My God man what planet are your commission directors from?

Doesn’t your country ever think about becoming civilized?

As bad as things are at least we have ADA (Americans with disability act) for protection for the elderly or handicapped

There is something new also in our codes about Barrier free designs and this is only over 20 years old also in our culture.

I strongly suggest you find a 2nd rate country instead of the one your in that is still in the stone age when it comes to caring about the senior citizens who built up the bloody place your in.

I do not know about your area but here we are accountable by law to make sure plumbing is safe for all including children or the old or the disabled and I would put these low life’s on notice that if your father should get hurt using these lower ILLEGAL toilets then your going to sue these low life’s personally and seek criminal action.

Called Criminal neglect in modern societies and folks are accountable for lack of proper action.

Bungies idea is great but it is still not the right job considering this IS a place for seniors.

The higher toilet seats are also a decent stop gap approach BUT considering this older gent does live there and others are going to follow someday there is NO EXCUSE WHAT SO EVER they cannot provide the proper fixtures.

Bet if your Dad was some illegal boat person the Government would find the funds to help them.

My God this is disgraceful that and senior citizen who paid their dues cant even have a proper toilet.
                You live in a sick minded country mate.

Please send me a private E mail, possibly we can find away to ship you a proper toilet seeing as how your contry is too inconsiderate to help the ones who paid their dues.

SylvanLMP

» This message has been edited by SylvanLMP on 16 November 2001

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                Participant

Sylvan. Chris stated that his father is in a commission house, not a facility for the aged, this is a standard Housing Commission property, In a superior country as yours, don’ you have such a thing as “Beaurocracy” our Country must be more advanced in this area. If the Gentleman was living in a facility for the aged he is more than protected by very stringent legislation such as Dissability Access legislation which includes Thermostatically controlled temp of Hot water, positions of Care pans 40mm higher, care seats, grab rails, mirrors and circulation spaces.
                  Please dont send an American toilet, I can imagine the addition of an American toilet to the 12 days of Chrismas song, with the water coming out the wrong way wetting the floor so that the 11 lords a leaping will do themselves a serious injury, and you mr Sylvan will be responsible!

Merrymas

Participant

In reply to message posted by Robert Stephen Morton:
                    Sylvan. Chris stated that his father is in a commission house, not a facility for the aged, this is a standard Housing Commission property, In a superior country as yours, don’ you have such a thing as “Beaurocracy” our Country must be more advanced in this area. If the Gentleman was living in a facility for the aged he is more than protected by very stringent legislation such as Dissability Access legislation which includes Thermostatically controlled temp of Hot water, positions of Care pans 40mm higher, care seats, grab rails, mirrors and circulation spaces.
                    Please dont send an American toilet, I can imagine the addition of an American toilet to the 12 days of Chrismas song, with the water coming out the wrong way wetting the floor so that the 11 lords a leaping will do themselves a serious injury, and you mr Sylvan will be responsible!

Merrymas

Sir with all do respect, I cannot imagine a so called civilized country in this day and age that cannot fit a higher toilet on existing ruffing.

I know I can go out and within 15 minutes Id have the higher toilet.

A toilet is cheap and to have an elderly person inconvienced is really discusting.

Even a “standard” building does have barried free and ADA requirements.

Not to long ago I did a brand new warehouse for a roofing contractor.

By code I had to install 2 bathrooms one for men and one for women PLUS I made them both accessible for wheel chairs as it is just the right thing to do.

Granted there are no roofers in a wheel chair but you can never tell who may get a job in the office Or if this warehouse will be converted into something else.

I have found over the years there is always an excuse not to do the right thing When it cost slighly more.

Merry Christmas to you too mate and God bless

SylvanLMP

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                    Participant

Hey Sylvan, in one of my earlier postings I stated that the world shold become one nation (Australian of course), then you blokes in USA would get some beaurocrats caose we’de all have the same Govt, That would bring you yanks down to earth. See in Australia Some Govt Dept supply the PC items & the Contractors install to a flat rate, it is not to the discretion of the installer. Do you ever work to Plans & Specifications? We do. You know that in some countries they even use flat toilets with straining bars. Who am I to question the requirements of other Countries, but again your toilets down here would cause Kaos with the lords a leaping & the birds a laying when the contents were spewed in reverse.

May my god bless & merrymas

Participant

Hey guys Please forgive Sylvan ,he is still trying to learn.

Participant

In reply to message posted by Robert Stephen Morton:
                          Hey Sylvan, in one of my earlier postings I stated that the world shold become one nation (Australian of course), then you blokes in USA would get some beaurocrats caose we’de all have the same Govt, That would bring you yanks down to earth. See in Australia Some Govt Dept supply the PC items & the Contractors install to a flat rate, it is not to the discretion of the installer. Do you ever work to Plans & Specifications? We do. You know that in some countries they even use flat toilets with straining bars. Who am I to question the requirements of other Countries, but again your toilets down here would cause Kaos with the lords a leaping & the birds a laying when the contents were spewed in reverse.

May my god bless & merrymas

Many of the green card workers I had over the years I have to admit put the so called American craftman to shame.

My top mechanic who I let him run my bloody company went back to Ireland because of the construction boom.

The mechanics guild in Canada should be the envy of the world as far as real techinical training is concerned.

The hardest tests in my career were Canadian standards and I would imagine the Aussie tests should be in line with the other English countries like South Africa and New Zealand.

Michael the Gassman and Bungie happen to be really brilliant in their trades.

It is really a shame they cannot make a world wide plumbers course that not only take in gasfitters but plumbing and fire suppression systems and of course back flow prevention and safe plumbing for the elderly and young.

We have the codes on the books but too many stumble bums pass through the cracks and put everyone at risk.

I think yearly testing is the way to go and if a person cant pass the test then out of the profession they should go. Strictly formal training with On the Job training plus yearly testing

Imagine going to a doctor who doesn’t keep abreast of changes in the industry / profession why should plumbing be any different?

SylvanLMP

Participant

In reply to message posted by oldmaster:
                            Hey guys Please forgive Sylvan ,he is still trying to learn.

Oh you got that right , God do I have so much more to learn about my trades. I have not even scratched the surface in plumbing let alone welding, fire suppression piping systems, drain cleaning, gasfitting steam fitting etc.

It seems the more codes I study and the more skills I try to master I never ever will learn it all.

Even in plumbing and having performed hospital piping and acid waste systems and fire suppression and doing simple plumbing like high rise office buildings. I still cant seem to ever catch up on the knowledge out there.

Being a member of several trade associations still cant get me the education I am after.

Even after my 10,000 hours of apprenticeship and holder of several master plumbing licenses and Master fire suppression license and even being a certified welder and brazer of medical gases and also being a certified unfired pressure vessel and low pressure boiler inspector and installer I STILL ADMIT I know nothing compared to what is still out there BUT I am trying to learn the basics of most of it as now know I will never ever know it all.

I have tried every possible aspect of plumbing I can think of from minor repairs to chill water systems for laser beams in NYU.

I have installed autopsy tables and worked on high pressure steam piping systems 1,500 PSI. Yet I didn’t even scratch the surface of plumbing let alone the other fields I dabble in like video inspections and non destructive boiler testing procedures as per ASME section IV and the NBBI

But hey ILL be the very 1st to say I do not know anything but I am willing to try to learn as I know I am not technical for my own satisfaction as I want to be.

Give me another 30+ years in these fields and then possibly I will be a half way decent Master of one the trades I work in.

This life time I just want to be a decent mechanic next time ILL learn flat rape pricing

SylvanLMP

Participant

Sylvan I read your reply to pipepusher about double hub pipe.Please take time and try to read the subject before you cut loose with the B S.You should apologize.It talks only about PVC.

Participant

In reply to message posted by Old Master:
                                Sylvan I read your reply to pipepusher about double hub pipe.Please take time and try to read the subject before you cut loose with the B S.You should apologize.It talks only about PVC.

Sir the man is HIGH on PVC cement as he thinks I use several names.WHICH name old man would you want me to apologize under?

Also kind sir with no qualifications it would appear by your name have you ever seen a real plumber install drainage pipe with the hub/bell facing down stream PIPE not fitting.

Get back to me old master with no license.

Participant

You dont remember me do you Sylvan? Arent you the little chubby loud mouth with the van that has a water jetter in it? Arent you the one guy that if you were a half inch taller ,you would be as tall as you are big around?

Participant

In reply to message posted by oldmaster:
                                    You dont remember me do you Sylvan? Arent you the little chubby loud mouth with the van that has a water jetter in it? Arent you the one guy that if you were a half inch taller ,you would be as tall as you are big around?

Yes I have the “water Jetter Van” and Yes I have the van set up strictly for roof drains and Yes I have the Jobbing Van and YES I am the great looking STUD of a plumber who is Very Young to have all the training I do behind me BUT I aint no lard BUTT

I leave being HEAVY to the unemployables my dear sir. Nice to hear from you Mr. No license man

SylvanLMP

Participant

LMP #17 LMGF34 There you go lard butt

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This