Problem with coloured hot water

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Problem with coloured hot water

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hi,

I have just moved into a new premises and there is a small 80 liter indoor electric hot water tank. I am having a problem that the hot water has a slight yellow colour to it. The cold water is fine and clear. The hot water is somewhat milky but thats fine as it’s just oxyginated. The problem is the yellow hot water and the small particles sometimes in the hot water.

I have tried running the hot water tank empty a couple of times for about 2 weeks to get rid of it but its still there.

I am renting the place so I called out the agents plumber and he said it was a result of the water in the tank sitting still for a couple of months and that dirt/clay has settled at the bottom of the tank and that it would be impossible to get it out and the water is safe. He said he could drain it but he thinks it would not help.

The hot water tank is relatively new manufactured in 94 and its a Rheem.

I called the Rheem people and they said the tank is rusty and needs to be replaced (as expected they sell the tanks) but that seems wierd when its only 7 years old max and has a 5 year warranty on it.

Is the water safe and hygenic?

If it is the boiler is there a way to clean it out which will get rid of the mud/clay buildup?

Is it likely to be a different problem?

I would like an independent opinion not biased on how do I improve the water quality.

Thanks

Robert

Participant

Just oxygenated means that there is plenty of oxygen to rust the exposed metal of the tank. Rusting means there will be a hole the tank at any time. Consider buying a new tank or new rugs and furniture after the burst while you are away.

The boiler is not connected to the electric water heater, so it does nothing to the water color.

Participant

In reply to message posted by Harold Hydronic Network:
            Just oxygenated means that there is plenty of oxygen to rust the exposed metal of the tank. Rusting means there will be a hole the tank at any time. Consider buying a new tank or new rugs and furniture after the burst while you are away.

The boiler is not connected to the electric water heater, so it does nothing to the water color.

Thanks for the reply..

I agree that the oxygenated water will increase the rate at which the hot water tank will rust (or the pipes will rust) but the unit is only 6-7 years old.

Do you think there is any possibility to the issue of dirt/clay building up in the tank and causing the discolouration?

If it was my place I would replace the unit but as I am renting I need to have confirmed details on what the problem is and then I can approach them to repair it.

Sorry I don’t really understand your comment regarding the boiler not being connected to the electric hot water heater. I’m from Australia and not fully versed in pluming terminology but we have a hot water tank(heater) with 80 liters capacity. Is that different to the boiler?

Cheers,

Rob

Participant

It is possible, but unlikely, to have so much floating clay to color the water; but flushing the tank a few times would tell.

A boiler would be able to boil water above 100C, a water heater will just heat water, usually below 140F.

Water heater tanks are like light bulbs; many do not reach the warrantee period; it depends upon the water quality and luck in manufacture.

Participant

I have emptied the tank a couple of time (min 10) times already and it has not cleared up.

We only have a water heater not a boiler as it would not heat water over 100C. Thanks for the explanation.

Is the colouration of the water only cosmetic or do I have a case to say the water in unhygenic to consume and/or wash in.

I think I’ll get an independent plumber out to look at it and give me a report which I will present to the rental agency.

Thanks

Rob

Participant

WHY DONT YOU THINK THE MANUFACT. KNOWS WHAT IS
                  WRONG? IF THE OWNER OR AGENT DONT WANT TO CURE
                  THE PROBLEM (MONETARY REASONS)WHY NOT JUST MOVE

Participant

If the unit is a steel (mains pressure) tank, it is shot. Have the agent replace it before your rugs become floaties.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This