steam heating system

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing steam heating system

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

a customer of mine has a loud banging noies in their system pipes, it happens after the system thermostat satisfies, i think it may be one of the return check valeves banging shut a couple times. this is a two pipe system, any ideas,thanks

Participant

Just the same old ideas: are all pipes sloped and without sags, are the radiators level, are all vents working, are all traps working properly, is the pressure as low as possible, is the boiler water clean?

Participant

yes all the piping is properly sloped, the system uses convectors which are built into the walls i can only assume they are level,there is only one vent that i can see,traps? unfortunatly i don’t have much experience with steam where would i look? boiler climbs to 4psi, boiler water is clean. thank you in advance for any additional help.

Participant

A two-pipe system without a valve at the bottom pipe of each radiator usually runs at a maximum of 2 psig. A two-pipe system with traps, a valve at the lower outlet of the radiator, requires 4 psig to operate the traps. A malfunctioning trap can draw steam backward to make a bang in a radiator.

Participant

i think i found the problem, the hartford loop was piped 2″ above the nominal water line, repiped it to 2″ below as per boiler manufacturers specs & it seems to have cured the problem. thanks for your reply. P.S. i found heating help.com very useful.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This