Water Heater Drain Valve Leaks

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Water Heater Drain Valve Leaks

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

After draining my water heater and shutting off my drain valve.What is the best way to stop a The drain valve on the water heater is leaking after draining the water heater with the water hose. I turned the drain valve off very tight. However, the drain valve continues to drip. What should I do to stop the drips. Thanks in the advance.null [email protected]

Participant

The drain valve on a water heater is not the highest quality one they could get. In fact if there were a cheaper one they would use it. The correct repair is to unscrew the old valve and install a brass nipple and female hose faucet. This is assuming your valve is not plastic and breaks off when you try to remove it. In that case, it will be a slightly more complicated job, but will still be the best way to go.

Participant

Before you just try to remove the existing valve you should take into consideration how old this tank is.

If it is more then 5 years old you may want to just place a hose bibb cap on the valve threads.

This repair will cost you about $1.00

rather then shutting off the gas and water supply and draining down the system replacing the existing valve and re filling and hopefully not run into any unseen problems

SylvanLMP

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This