Pipes squeal when water is OFF!!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Pipes squeal when water is OFF!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

It started at 3am this morning. A high pitched squeal in the plumbing that will only stop when the toilet is flushed, or a tap is turned on. Can anyone help??

Participant

The washer inside the cistern inlet valve has died, it needs replacing.

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or
          will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

Do you have a hose attached to an outside faucet that was not turned off. Or do you have an automatic lawn sprinkler system that might operate at that time of the morning?

Participant

Good call, bungie…us aussies know what going down.

Participant
                Quote:
                In reply to message posted by bungie:
                The washer inside the cistern inlet valve has died, it needs replacing.

What and where is that? I know nothing about plumbing, but with very little guidance, I can most likely fix anything.
                The really odd thing (to me anyway) is that the next day it stopped completely. Now, I know enough to know that even if it’s stopped, there is still a problem somewhere.
                Thanks guys, for your help. I’m a pretty handy lady with a lot of things, but plumbing’s not on that list……yet….lol.

Participant

Follow the water service in to the cistern, the fitting it connects to is the inlet valve. Now depending on the brand as to the type of washer inside. Some times its easer to replace the valve than sodd around trying to explain washers to you, most times a fluidmaster is best to replace it with. Think you yanks call it a 400a, or a400

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or
                  will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This