water hammer when I do nothing!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing water hammer when I do nothing!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I’ve had a 4-8 knock banging (repeating 3-7 times with 2-5 minute intervals) at odd times during night and/or day. I can’t create the noise through any use of water in my single story apartment. It started 5 months ago.

I have a hole in the wall at main shut off and can put my hand on the main water pipe to feel this banging. Pipe isn’t loose. I have a pressure reducing valve on which is 1 year old.

What is going on? My regular plumbers are stumped.

Participant

Check your toilets for a quick closing valve like a Fluidmaster 400A

Also re check your PRV as at night pressure does increase as less folks are using the water

SylvanLMP

Participant

Could be comming from your next door unit

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or
            will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

Another thing to check is the incoming water pressure. If the pressure is at times less than the set pressure of the pressure reducing valve then this can happen. To overcome this – reduce the set pressure of the valve (if it is adjustable) to below the inlet pressure.

Participant

Click on this link, use the info to pin the tap in the wall, might help

ENSURE THE WATER IS OFF FOR THIS WORK !!!!

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or
                will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This