buried copper joint

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing buried copper joint

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Question: I am replacing my rust-filled iron pipe underground service line with a 1″ soft copper tube. I must connect my 1″ line to a short length of 3/4″ copper that exits the 3/4″ meter setter. The connection will be buried. What is the recommended joint type? Thanks for your help!

Participant

Depending on local codes I personally like Brazing or soldering using 95% tin and 5% Antimony.

Some codes do require flaring connections.

No way no how would I dare use a compression joint.

SylvanLMP

Participant

use an approved underground coupling/union either flare or compression, check with your local water authority or building department,they usually have a preference. (sometimes even a reason for it)

In over 30years I have never seen a solder joint allowed underground or one to last underground.

kenny b

Participant

Solder joints are allowed underground as long as they are not under a concrete slab.

Participant

Ihave to agree with you Kenny,why would anyone want to solder underground pipes when there so many other options? Not legal in my state.

Participant

In reply to message posted by kenny b:
                  use an approved underground coupling/union either flare or compression, check with your local water authority or building department,they usually have a preference. (sometimes even a reason for it)

In over 30years I have never seen a solder joint allowed underground or one to last underground.

kenny b

Kenny, YOU are correct and I do stand corrected.

I have used soldered and brazed joints for copper under ground BUT never on a service line before the meter.

I have no idea why the powers that be do request a flare connection on copper service piping.

Thank you for pointing this out.

SylvanLMP

Participant

flared connections are the norm. around here except for one area. In/on Grand Island, NY. they are not allowed, compression only. Thier reasoning behind this is the flared copper is thinned, weakening the service at that point. they have a history to support this over the years, so you have to respect thier reasoning. I’m sure the ground/fill has a lot to do with failures. Anyhow its nice they take the time to explain thier reasoning. It even makes sense.
                    kenny b

Participant

Here in Brisbane, the Council use soft solder joints underground, the same tin rubbish used by sylvan
                      However most trades men here use 5% to 15% silver solder, which wil out last all of us.

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or
                      will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

In reply to message posted by kenny b:
                        flared connections are the norm. around here except for one area. In/on Grand Island, NY. they are not allowed, compression only. Thier reasoning behind this is the flared copper is thinned, weakening the service at that point. they have a history to support this over the years, so you have to respect thier reasoning. I’m sure the ground/fill has a lot to do with failures. Anyhow its nice they take the time to explain thier reasoning. It even makes sense.
                        kenny b

When I was a stationery engieer working on AC systems or high pressure steam controllers we used Double flare type of joints so even at 140# steam we knew we had joint intergrity.

SylvanLMP

Participant

In reply to message posted by bungie:
                          Here in Brisbane, the Council use soft solder joints underground, the same tin rubbish used by sylvan
                          However most trades men here use 5% to 15% silver solder, which wil out last all of us.

Bungie, although 95 5 is more difficult to work with rather then the silver bearing alloys I like the higher tensile strength that 95-5 affords me (16,000 PSI)

I also like having a joint harden faster and silver bearing does have a much larger pasty range then its 95-5 counter part and thus takes longer to solidify.

For my mechanics I give them silver bearing solders as it covers a multitude of sins like large gaps or having a much wider temperature range for mistakes as heating is the key with hard solders.

The lower temperature of silver as opposed to tin also helps the not so good mechanics have a joint with some type of integrity and it is so easy to use.

95- 5 in my opinion is also a much better looking joint as it never has any “grapes” hanging down the under side of a joint and I dont need a rag to wipe off excessive solder as 95 5 flows really deep into the joint and doesnt build up.

SylvanLMP

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This