Potable water mini stop

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Potable water mini stop

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

My name is Jim Maragos I am the Director of J.E.M Corporation Water Solutions Pty Ltd.
        We are currently in the process of the development of a revolutionary new mini stop that will comply with AS/NZS4020 and have a STANDARD MARK rather than a WATER MARK.The product is Australian designed and will be fully Australian made and owned

We have a few questions that thus far everyone we have approached with have been hesitant in giving us clear answers and would be very appreciative if you could answer some or all of them or point us in the right direction.
        MP-52 dose not answer these questions.

The questions are as follows:

1. In QLD, is it mandatory (law) to have a shut-off valve under the
        bathroom basin? Under the kitchen basin (for Flick Mixer and Dishwasher)?
        Laundry taps?

2. Is it compulsory to use a shut-off valve for a flick mixer? Must there be a shut-off valve on both the hot and cold pipes?

3. If AS/NZS 4020 is mandatory for Potable water (re: Flick
        Mixer), what will happen to those who install a mini-stop that is NOT AS/NZS 4020 compliant? Who is liable – is it the supplier or the plumber?
        What penalties would there be in not meeting this standard?

4. Since 5 of July 2001 AS/NZS 4020 will comply what will happen to components that were manufactured before this date? Will they be allowed to be installed or if they are specifically designed for Potable water will they have to be recalled?

5. Current valve imports are claiming to meet AS 3688. (AS 3688:
        pertains to Water Supply – Copper and copper alloy body compression and capillary fittings and threaded-end connectors).
        What does this standard mean?

6. Is AS 3688 relevant for cistern stops/ mini-stops?

We do hope you can help an Aussie company

Kind Regards

Jim Maragos
        [email protected]

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
        Participant

Jim.
          1. no
          2. no
          3. In Qld we are required to comply with AS 3500 – As 3500 requires all plumbing fittings & copmonents to comply to MP52 – this requires Standards mark etc. if a component has Standards Mark or Watermark it complies.
          4. A new Standard does not make a previously approved fitting or component illegal
          5. Dont know – havent got a copy
          6. Dont Know – havent got a copy

Participant

It is a shame an Aussie company is so limited in their thinking.

If a product is of decent quality why not advertise it world wide?

I use lots of Canadian manufactured QUALITY plumbing products and would highly recommend Canadian manufactured roof drains.

When I had to give Merrell Lynch a full 10 year 100% guarantee on product and labour I would only trust Enpoco.

This corporation was the ONLY one to offer this kind of quality and put it in writing.

Participant

If you look at the paperwork of most flick mixers nowadays, they say that the warrenty is void if there are no stop cocks installed below the fitting

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or
              will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

In reply to message posted by Robert Stephen Morton:
                Jim.
                1. no
                2. no
                3. In Qld we are required to comply with AS 3500 – As 3500 requires all plumbing fittings & copmonents to comply to MP52 – this requires Standards mark etc. if a component has Standards Mark or Watermark it complies.
                4. A new Standard does not make a previously approved fitting or component illegal
                5. Dont know – havent got a copy
                6. Dont Know – havent got a copy

We thank you for your time and effort Robert

Kind Regards

Jim Maragos

Participant

In reply to message posted by SylvanLMP:
                  It is a shame an Aussie company is so limited in their thinking.

If a product is of decent quality why not advertise it world wide?

I use lots of Canadian manufactured QUALITY plumbing products and would highly recommend Canadian manufactured roof drains.

When I had to give Merrell Lynch a full 10 year 100% guarantee on product and labour I would only trust Enpoco.

This corporation was the ONLY one to offer this kind of quality and put it in writing.

Thank you SylvanLMP We will be testing the market at home first then we plan to export off shore. You see Patents are quite an expensive exercise and without testing the water first in Australia where we hold the patent we can be over exposed and thus lose anothe Aussie invention to an overseas manufacturer

As for a Guarantee on our product we will be backing our valves with a full 10 year Guarantee as well

Kind Regards

Jim

Participant

In reply to message posted by bungie:
                    If you look at the paperwork of most flick mixers nowadays, they say that the warrenty is void if there are no stop cocks installed below the fitting

Thank you bungie

Thats all good and well but we were trying to ascertain if this method is practiced or are the stop cocks left out in most cases to reduce cost??

Kind Regards

Jim

Participant

Thank you Jim IM always looking for GREAT Products.

Lord knows this end of the planet no longer makes Quality plumbing products as we IMPORT most of the junk we get today.

By the way according good plumbing practices we do install isolation valves on ALL fixtures Hot and cold.

It is just common decency to have a way of separating a bad fixture from the rest of the fixtures.

If your looking for an NYC rep please let me know ILL put you in contact with some great sales reps.

SylvanLMP

Participant

“Thats all good and well but we were trying to ascertain if this method is practiced or are the stop cocks left out in most cases to reduce cost??”

usually left out

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or
                        will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

Let’s face it! They are only left out by the cowboys.

Participant

Spook. We in Oz have Bushrangers, & I can assure you that I am not one of them. I have been in business for 28 years. Have you read a Indian Proverb – something like walking a mile in someones mocassins. In USA it is possibly a requirement,However in Oz there is no such requirement – there is the rule that says that we must follow the manufacturers requirements – however the wording on the Flickmixers that I have read includes the word “should”, this is not mandatory if “shall” were included it would be mandatory!. I would like to extend to you the invitation to come to Australia & walk in our thongs before you make rash observations.

Bob

Participant

Sorry Spook. I just read your profile & I found you come from South Australia – My deepest sympathy are extended to you. Do you work to any Standards in SA? If AS 3500. What does your clause 5.1 say about the location of Isolating valves? Is a sink or basin an appliance? or is the isolating tapware the appliance? In Qld there is a Act of Parliament which is called the Sewerage & Water Supply Act that requires Licensed persons to comply with AS 3500.0 1995, AS 3500 1.1 &2 1998 AS 3500 2.1 & 2 1996 AS 3500 4.1 & 2 1997. You may wish to buy one of these before commenting, or qualify your comments. We can do more than the requirements however commerercial decissions must be made in todays economic climate.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This