Backflow preventer on a handshower

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Backflow preventer on a handshower

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I am currently installing 5-hole tub faucet. Plumbing inspector mentioned that there should be a backflow preventer between diverter and handshower.

Is it really mandatory?

Bob

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
        Participant

Bob26. I assume that you emanate from USA as you mentioned faucets, we in Australia only have taps. I dont know about USA, but in OZ it is manatory if the shower head can hang into the bath tub. I know that you water runs the other way up there, cause we are upside down, but I believe that water still siphons, maybe better because ours has to run uphill. All that is required is a simple Air Gap valve fitted to the penetration where the hose screws on, these are normally supplied with a good quality handshower.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bob26:
            I am currently installing 5-hole tub faucet. Plumbing inspector mentioned that there should be a backflow preventer between diverter and handshower.

Is it really mandatory?

Bob

Nah, only if your concerned about back syphonage and a very real possibility of causing a health hazard.
            What the heck does the inspector know?

Just because some folks do object to soap or used water going into the potable system screw them LET THEM BUY BOTTLED WATER.

Nothing wrong at all having “GRAY WATER” going back into the system.

Actually I made a small fortune from law suits going after illegal practices like not protecting the potable system.

The codes are only for inspected jobs forget health issues.

Inspector didnt see it YOU didnt do it. Hey think of the money you save from not installing a back flow preventor

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This