Do bathroom exhaust fans vent thru roof?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Do bathroom exhaust fans vent thru roof?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Or is venting into the attic space sufficient? I have a very large attic space with continuous soffit and ridge vents.

Participant
          Quote:
          Originally posted by armdiver:
          Or is venting into the attic space sufficient? I have a very large attic space with continuous soffit and ridge vents.[/QUOTE

Under good health practices we vent exhaust to the outside air side of the building if possible.

Using an exhaust hood that closes when the fan is off to prevent back draft.

Keeping away from other structal openings like a window, doorway , or air conditioning unit.

Most civilized codes do have proper vent guide lines.

I strongly suggest you read your local code as to the CFM requirements of the size of the space your venting.

Participant

Over here, bathroom exhaust fans vet just into the roof space

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bungie1:
              Over here, bathroom exhaust fans vet just into the roof space

Of course in your country I would expect nothing less my good man THAT is why I said

“Most civilized codes do have proper vent guide lines”

Key word here is CIVILIZED

You see bathroom air can and does have lots of bacteria and It maybe permissible in your neck of the woods to have an attic as an incubator of bacteria BUT here we expect more from the plumbing professionals.

Also Bathrooms are notorious for having lots of vapor from hot showers and having these vapors collecting on exposed wooden beams would promote rotting BUT then again I was only talking about NON STONE AGED plumbing so you blokes go right ahead the way you are.

Hopefully in 20 or 25 years you blokes will be in plumbing as we are now.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
              Participant

Hey fair go Sylvan, Ostralya is the driest Island Continent in the world, the vapour is dry and our s— dont stink, the only reason we exhaust into the roof space is to cool the roof and because it’s there. Civilized! you blokes can’t even speeka da inglish & you havn’t gotXXX over there.
                Sylvan are you attempting to create an International incident, or you starved of criticism from Fourth year?

Participant

How do you expect the rats and possums to get clean if we dont spray shitty wet air into the roof space ??

Participant

you muc

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Stephen Morton:
                    Hey fair go Sylvan, Ostralya is the driest Island Continent in the world, the vapour is dry and our s— dont stink, the only reason we exhaust into the roof space is to cool the roof and because it’s there. Civilized! you blokes can’t even speeka da inglish & you havn’t gotXXX over there.
                    Sylvan are you attempting to create an International incident, or you starved of criticism from Fourth year?

When I do decide to give my business away to my employees I think I will know a lot about down under plumbing and possibly even switch my citizenship as many of my new accounts do not even speak or understand the English.

You got to love non existent immigration laws huh mates.

To bad the powers that be do not say if you want into an English speaking country you should be able to speak it so you can ask for your hand outs properly huh?

[Edited by SylvanLMP on 04 September 2001]

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                    Participant

GOODONYA MATE!

Participant

I was asking about venting a small amount of methane from odorous fart juice only. I didn’t expect to provoke such international concern and personal attacks. I’m currently shingling my roof and need to know how many holes I need to consider. I’m venting for the stink pipes. This is my house I’m building. I just wanted to know if venting into the attic would suffice or is it a bad idea? It’s no big deal. The cost adds up for every little item and anyone who’s done this before will understand where I’m coming from, which is southwest Georgia, where they grow all the peanuts– no neighbors to be concerned with. Can I get an honest response from someone?

Participant

Let me clarify. The sewage lines from the septic tank I’m going thru the roof with an open vent. The exhaust fans above the toilet is what I’m questioning. Will this odor collect in the attic or will the flow of air thru the attic take it away?

Participant

Vent thriugh the side of the house much like a kitchen exhaust UNLESS you have a window then no vent is needed by some codes.

By the way Bungie and I are good friends so the bickering doesnt mean a thing.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This