Water hammer (again).

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Water hammer (again).

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,
        I followed a link to your web page, where you have a few words to say about water hammer. You mainly discuss when turning OFF the water. We’ve got a situation in reverse. When the hot water in our shower is turned on, we get a terrible hammer noise when the tap is turned on slowly. It is not until the water is running quickly, that the hammer noise stops. It sounds quite violet, and I have visions of the pipes in the roof (our house is on a slab) are ready to explode. We’re currently going through a bit of a drought here in Melbourne, and I don’t like the idea of having to have the water on full blast, just to avoid the hammer sound, let alone the prospect of exploding pipes.
        I watched a video in our local hardware store showing a water arrester for dishwashers and washing machines, but I don’t see this would work for a shower tap (or do I have to smack a hole in the wall?), or can we put an arrester after the hot and cold have joined in the shower head?

In other news, we also get a small knock (ie single bang, not a hammer) when we turn off some of the other taps in the house, most noticeable the “flick” style tap in the kitchen. This seems less of a concern, and it doesn’t sound like pipes are going to explode in a ball of water. Would the water arrester work for the flick tap? We don’t seem to have problems with the dishwasher, or washing machines.

Any ideas?

ADVthanksANCE,

Peter Lipcsey…

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
        Participant

Peterlip. As you come from Melbourne, I can be assured that you suffer the same problem that people all over Australia suffer. That is pressure. You have a valve in your hot water that is faulty. You have also a faulty seat. The faulty seat wears the tap washer til the washer fits into the seat, then when you turn the tap on a little the water pressure rattles the tap washer til the tap is fully opened. Get a Licenced Plumber to RESEAT & REWASHER the tap.

Participant

yes use aqualoc tap valves to rectify your water hammer phone pete 0412630867

quote:

Originally posted by PeterLip:
            Hi,
            I followed a link to your web page, where you have a few words to say about water hammer. You mainly discuss when turning OFF the water. We’ve got a situation in reverse. When the hot water in our shower is turned on, we get a terrible hammer noise when the tap is turned on slowly. It is not until the water is running quickly, that the hammer noise stops. It sounds quite violet, and I have visions of the pipes in the roof (our house is on a slab) are ready to explode. We’re currently going through a bit of a drought here in Melbourne, and I don’t like the idea of having to have the water on full blast, just to avoid the hammer sound, let alone the prospect of exploding pipes.
            I watched a video in our local hardware store showing a water arrester for dishwashers and washing machines, but I don’t see this would work for a shower tap (or do I have to smack a hole in the wall?), or can we put an arrester after the hot and cold have joined in the shower head?

In other news, we also get a small knock (ie single bang, not a hammer) when we turn off some of the other taps in the house, most noticeable the “flick” style tap in the kitchen. This seems less of a concern, and it doesn’t sound like pipes are going to explode in a ball of water. Would the water arrester work for the flick tap? We don’t seem to have problems with the dishwasher, or washing machines.

Any ideas?

ADVthanksANCE,

Peter Lipcsey…

Participant

Turning off, Turning on….. same cause’s

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This