un-sweating a joint

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing un-sweating a joint

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

What is the trick to getting the solder to flow in an old joint. I have a leak in the joint and simply want to take the pipe and union apart so I can clean and sweat the joint again, but I can’t get the solder to flow. The pipe is getting very hot and is above the valve so I kbnow ther is no water in it.

Participant

What type of solder and flux are you using ??

Participant

If the pipe is getting very hot, especially a long way above where you are heating it, then there is water in it. Even if the valve is closed, it could be allowing a little water into the pipe. And if the joint is above the valve, how did you get the standing water out of the pipe?

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bungie1:
              What type of solder and flux are you using ??

I don’t know what the solder is. Its a 20 year old copper union so I assume it’s tin. I have a basic water soluable flux. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Participant

This is the pipe that is above the bathtub valve that allows the folw of water to the shower. I left the pipe open for more than a week and assumed that the water is out.

quote:

Originally posted by fourth year:
                If the pipe is getting very hot, especially a long way above where you are heating it, then there is water in it. Even if the valve is closed, it could be allowing a little water into the pipe. And if the joint is above the valve, how did you get the standing water out of the pipe?

Participant

Easy fix, Get Hercules 95-5 in paste form.

Try to clean the joint as much as possible inside and out.

Use this Solder/paste as a FLUX

Use a turbo torch flame (4,200 degrees) secondary heat to heat the pipe then the fitting.

As this “flux” turns silver you can add more 95-5 tin antimony solder (Spool)then take away the flame and let Capillary action draw the solder into the joint.

Participant

The only way to get the water out of that pipe is to turn off the water to the house, open a lavatory faucet it the same room and then open the shower valve so the water will drain out of the riser pipe into the lavatory. This assumes the lavatory is on the same wall as the shower valve, or the piping comes from the floor. It the pipe goes overhead between the shower and the lavatory, then the water will still not drain out.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This