Chain Downpipes?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Chain Downpipes?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Can anybody give me some information on chain downpipes. I am wondering how it is connected at the top eaves gutter & the bottom. Is there somewhere that sells fittings for chain downpipes?
        Thanks

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
        Participant

Adrian. get a three legged hanger made up with bent ends & simply hang the chain from the hanger. The hanger simply hangs from a hole in the gutter.

Participant

Roberts right.
            It just hangs from inside the gutter to the ground. Plain o’l zinc or gal chain. Larger links look better. Usually fix the bottom to the ground or stormwater pit securely, imagine 8 foot of chain swinging around in a storm.
            Dont use Gal chain if the gutter is zincalum tho.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bungie1:
              Roberts right.
              It just hangs from inside the gutter to the ground. Plain o’l zinc or gal chain. Larger links look better. Usually fix the bottom to the ground or stormwater pit securely, imagine 8 foot of chain swinging around in a storm.
              Dont use Gal chain if the gutter is zincalum tho.

Bungie suppose the gutter is copper why cant they use stainless steel?

Actually SS would be my first choice as it lasts and lasts and lasts huh?

They could opt for steel links and use 3 coats of RED LEAD paint and then paint the bloody links red white and blue

Participant

Wot’s this red white & blue – here in Qld we only like red – the blues come up here once a year to go back empty handed!

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Stephen Morton:
                  Wot’s this red white & blue – here in Qld we only like red – the blues come up here once a year to go back empty handed!

Hey Mate we bloody penal colonies had best stick together :-)

Participant

quote:

Adrian. get a three legged hanger made up with bent ends & simply hang the chain from the hanger. The hanger simply hangs from a hole in the gutter.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. Robert what type of hanger are you refering to? Can you be a bit more specific. I am sorry, I am unsure of some of the terminology.

Participant

SEE Below
                      [Edited by SylvanLMP on 27 August 2001]

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian W:

Quote:

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. Robert what type of hanger are you refering to? Can you be a bit more specific. I am sorry, I am unsure of some of the terminology.

HEY Adrian

( well it sounded great in rocky 1)

I think this foreigner who doesnt speak real ENGLISH like we do means the folloowing.

Picture a tri pod with a chain attached near the top dangling down your leader spout.

Hey you got to hear these Aussies on the phone if you think their writing is hard to understand.

Sylvan writer of the novel “how to make foreign friends for life”

Participant

Like this

Participant

quote:

Like this

MAN YOU ARE GOOD Fantastic work of art AMAZING BUT can you read blue prints?

Participant

Blue prints …wow you are showing your age now.

Participant

quote:

Blue prints …wow you are showing your age now.

Well they were good enough for Moses so they are good enough for me

Participant

Thanks again for the drawing. Do you know how it can be connected at the bottom & go into a standard discharge pipe?

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian W:
                                    Thanks again for the drawing. Do you know how it can be connected at the bottom & go into a standard discharge pipe?

From the fantastic picture DRAWN to scale I would imagine this device just sits in the gutter and the chain hangs down the leader pipe

Participant

All I have ever done is to form up a surface inlet with a grate, install a S/S hold down eye bolt and a short S/S trace wire to the chain. Then fill the surface inlet with big gibbers. (for them yanks a gibber is a gonny or, a stone or rock)

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This