PVC to Galvanized PIPE

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing PVC to Galvanized PIPE

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hello, I have a very simple question and I hope someone has a very simple Answer. I have a 60′ section of Galvanized pipe underground across my back yard, that is a water outlet. I have run PVC before and it turned out nicely. I would like to move the Water outlet back about 20′ and over about 10′. My question is how is the best way to connect Galvanized pipe to PVC pipe .

Participant

Sylvan or one of his alter egos will disagree, but most codes will require that the male thread be on the PVC. There are at least two reasons for not using a female PVC adapter. First the plastic can expand more than the stell and cause a leak, and second, any corrosion of the steel thread will create pressure on the PVC and crack it. You can use a male PVC adapter into a galvanized fitting, but if there is any stress placed on it, it will crack at the thread. A better way would be to use a schedule 80 nipple with a thread on one end and couple it to the PVC line on the other end.

Participant

Do you have Galvanized underground not protected from external corrosion?

Also if local codes permit think about this.

DON’T DO IT! PVC is not made for underground burial where expansion and
            contraction can occur. Simple polyethylene (irrigation pipe) would suffice
            for
            this purpose.

[Edited by SylvanLMP on 26 August 2001]

Participant

Now you tell us. Ninety percent of the new homes in the Phoenix area have PVC service lines from the meter to the house. They are all buried. And given the Phoenix temperatures, I guess you could say they are subject to expansion and contraction. Please notify all the local inspectors that they have been stupid to permit this practice. Possibly if you submit the suggestion on one of your letterheads, with all of your credentials after it, they will realize that your knowledge is superior to theirs and thus stop this outrageous practice, and go back to requiring copper tubing.

Participant

I would like to know where I can buy land that isn’t subject to any expansion and contraction,what a great place that must be!!The temperature must remain the same every day of the year.Pvc pipe is allowed underground in areas where expansion and contraction occur.Since it’s already a proven product,what’s your point SYLVAN?

Participant

Now you tell us. Ninety percent of the new homes in the Phoenix area have PVC service lines from the meter to the house.<< DUh plummin at its best LMAO

Well If the powers that be REALLY cared instead of allwowing misfits to dabble in plummin WHY not use the plastic BEFORE the meter also?

I happen to like using “K” copper for water lines and Cast Iron for drainage BUT then again I like longivity.

Building tract houses doesnt make one a “plumber”

Participant

Let me see if I understand the following.

“fourth year wrote on 26 August 2001 at 01:16 PM:
                    Why are you so paranoid about air testing, and also why are you worrying about PVC in the subject building? PVC is not approved for indoor plumbing in most areas

Ok so PLASTIC is GARBAGE as it CANNOT be used inside a home BUT It is ok for use outside where the water pressure is greater do to less friction losses correct?

In other words Copper is safer IN THE HOUSE but Who cares what is outside.

Yes stumble bum plumbing is alive and well in Az.

Imagine this If someone installed COPPER lines for Quality and if soil conditions allowed why not used the same PROVEN materials inside and out?

Here a stumblebum says “PVC is not approved for indoor plumbing in most areas” BUT SCREWS people underground sight unseen AMAZING RIP OFF MENTALITY HERE HUH?

It takes a certain mind set to say if it aint being inspected why follow proper GOOD plumbing practices.
                    Go get em Mr. Fraud INC. birds of a feather

Participant

A simple question, huh. I personally do not know of an ideal fitting to use between Galv. and PVC. Forth Year gave you some fair advice. I am not sure if I argee with him 100% on a SCH 80 nipple threaded on one end as the best way to go. But, I would be a hypocrit to say he was wrong because I have cut PVC nipples and used them this way. I know nipples are available with threads only on one end, I have never used them, I have cut them.

I would not say that nipples are better than schedule 80 male adapter. Two things concern me about using a nipple cut in half since there are two different types of nipples available. First there is the injection molded nipple with molded threads. The problem with these is that the outside diameter can vary from standard pipe (typically smaller OD) and I think the glue (solvent welded) joint is weak. Second, there is the nipple made from PVC pipe with factory cut threads. All other things equal a part with moulded threads is stronger than one with cut threads. A PVC nipple with cut threads is more sensitive to cracking. This is why I think a schedule 80 male adapter is a good way to go. One step stronger (but may not be readily available) is a male adapter with stainless steel reinforcing on the inside. I try to avoid any threaded joint on PVC, and I try to avoid plastic pipe.

By the way Christopher, have you given any thought to using galvanized, the pipe you put in should last as long as what you are connecting to. And, no plastic or copper will beat galv. against shovel attacks.

Anyone have any other ideas or opinions?
                      Phil H

Participant

Christopher,
                        Sorry about the children squabbling they get bored during the school holidays

The best fitting to use to connect gal to PVC, when the pipe is a “Water outlet” is a fernco coupling or simular. Effectively its a high quality rubber sleave and two stainless steel worm clamps. Check with your local plumbers as in some areas these are not permitted.

Come on fellers, maybe we should be reading the questions properly ??

Participant

Interesting that you should say that, since they the cities do use plastic ahead of the meters. I guess they don’t know any better either. Too bad. You really should come out here and straighten everybody out as to the way “real” plumbing should be installed.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by fourth year:
                            Interesting that you should say that, since they the cities do use plastic ahead of the meters. I guess they don’t know any better either. Too bad. You really should come out here and straighten everybody out as to the way “real” plumbing should be installed.

No, its OK as there is a need to have handymen working rather then collecting welfare from a state known for retirees.

Considering the folks there ARE on a fixed income they really cannot afford a qualified plumber so YOU fit the void where the non skill comes in.

I guess if I was old what the heck would I care how long a plumbing system lasts.

IMAGINE if they had a national testing of plumbers You would be on welfare.

You say air lines are NOT to be used made of plastic piping YET you test Plastic piping with Air talk about being incompetent.

Thankfully you never had to work for a living in a real professional trade. We need dabblers so the real professionals can look even better.

You will never be a “plumber” as your too far gone guy. Stick with your toxic glue and be thankful for your free “high” sniffing primmer.

Its a shame the folks in Az. are subject to 3rd world plumbing.

I guess the richer folks can afford quality plumbing in Fla.

Participant

You extapolate too much. I never said I install plastic. I have never used plastic, but I said that most of the houses have plastic water services. Mine do not. I said that PVC cannot be used inside a house. None of the houses here have it. I said PVC cannot be used for air systems, but that is because the PVC deteriorates with age. Testing a system will not cause a blowout, unless it is overpressurized. Plumbers here use CPVC and PEX, I do not. You may have heard that Arizona has more boats than any other state. I guess our welfare checks are higher than yours.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by fourth year:
                                You extapolate too much. I never said I install plastic. I have never used plastic, but I said that most of the houses have plastic water services. Mine do not. I said that PVC cannot be used inside a house. None of the houses here have it. I said PVC cannot be used for air systems, but that is because the PVC deteriorates with age. Testing a system will not cause a blowout, unless it is overpressurized. Plumbers here use CPVC and PEX, I do not. You may have heard that Arizona has more boats than any other state. I guess our welfare checks are higher than yours.

Well my 33FT Carver would fit your lakes very well then huh.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This