Keymaster

Does anybody know if there
        is significant galvonic
        reaction between 316
        stainless and galvonized
        pipe? How about between 316
        and copper or brass?

Participant

You did not mention your application (sea water, air or?). The McNally Institute has some information on corrosion of 300 series stainless steels: http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/04-html/4-1.html.

Phil H

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Phil H:
            You did not mention your application (sea water, air or?). The McNally Institute has some information on corrosion of 300 series stainless steels: http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/04-html/4-1.html.

Phil H

Participant

Thanks, Phil, for your response. I will go to the website you suggested. The application is very hard fresh water (high conductivity) which is why I’m concerned about galvonic reaction. On another chat board, a respondent said to never mate brass to 316 stainless. I’m not sure about galvonized to 316, I’ll have to do more research.

Participant

I really can not answer your question. I can only relate my experience. I have never had any reason to mix galvanized and stainless steel in piping, to me it would be like asking for french fries in a french restaurant. As far as brass and stainless steel, I have used them together and have not had any problems (yet?). I have also used many good quality valves that have brass and bronze bodies and stainless internal components. What you heard of on the other board must be something some reputable valve manufactures are not aware of or not concerned about.

Phil H

Participant

No problem mixing brass/copper and stainless steel.

Many stainless steel sinks have brass faucets on them.

Many HIGH pressure steam valves have SS seats and stems and brass/iron bodies.

Thermodynamic stainless steel steam traps mixed with ferrous metal piping does not corrode.

The basket strainer on most commerical kitchen sinks are made of stainless steel and have a brass tubing tail piece with no signs of corrosion.

When installing Galvainzed leader lines out side of a building I used Stainless steel hooks.

Many roofers use a galvanized gutter with SS Nails to hold it in place.

Participant

Thanks for your input, SylvanLMP. On a cathodic/anodic chart 316 stainless(passive) is down close to the cathodic end while iron pipe and zinc (galvonized)is up close to the anodic end. This is why I was concerned.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by C. Hondel:
                      Thanks for your input, SylvanLMP. On a cathodic/anodic chart 316 stainless(passive) is down close to the cathodic end while iron pipe and zinc (galvonized)is up close to the anodic end. This is why I was concerned.

No problem and your very welcome.

I used SS piping on food handling applications and some high pressure steam systems with great success.

Have you considered other materials?

Depending on temperature and pressure and applicatiions and local codes?

If you like you can send me a private E mail and let me know how you make out GOOD LUCK

[Edited by SylvanLMP on 26 August 2001]

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This