3 part problem for Sylvan-shower valve

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing 3 part problem for Sylvan-shower valve

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I need to pick your brain. I am 52 miles out in the country and need to be pretty much self reliant
        New house, single lever for hot/cold in shower.1. Hot/cold is reversed 2. Mix is wrong, best cold water I can get is lukewarm. 3. takes 5 min to get hot water, though it comes in real quick in the sink faucet in the same bathroom. Worse problem is the reverse part, because it is a danger to weekend company using that shower. I can follow instructions pretty well, if you can help me. Thanks so much.

Participant

Your first option is to call the person who installed the valve incorrectly and have them correct the problem. Next option is to call the manufacturer’s technical support department and see what they say. Depending on the valve type and manufacturer, it may be a simple fix such as rotating the cartridge 180 degrees. Without knowing the type and maker of the valve it is hard to give specific advice. Hope everything works out well for you.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
          Participant

Carole. People make choices all of the time, you have decided to live 52miles out of town, this choice carries with it a downside, this is you must pay more for services. I live in a country area and the closest regional town is 120miles away, if I want a service, I pay the travelling. Call a LMP and pay the travelling costs.

Participant

What type of valve is it? If it’s a Moen, for example, the problem of the crossed or reversed lines can be corrected very easily without removing the valve at all. Let us know.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Carole460:
                I need to pick your brain. I am 52 miles out in the country and need to be pretty much self reliant
                New house, single lever for hot/cold in shower.1. Hot/cold is reversed

Normally Delta and other manufacturers will allow you to reverse the way the cartridge is installed like back to back installations.

1- The installing plumber RIGHTFULLY so may have taken this showerbody apart when he/she installed it and may have installed the innards reversed a very common mistake

2. Mix is wrong, best cold water I can get is lukewarm.

The mix is wrong as the installer did not set the high limit correctly and set it too low as more and more plumbers are scared of lawsuits from water being too hot. Again a simple ajustment. Call the installer BACK

3. takes 5 min to get hot water, though it comes in real quick in the sink faucet in the same bathroom.

The installer may not have a return circulation line going to this fixture Or possibly once the correct temperature setting is made then it just work out properly within the showerbody behind the cover plate there should be a cam assembly. Call the installer back

Worse problem is the reverse part, because it is a danger to weekend company using that shower. I can follow instructions pretty well, if you can help me. Thanks so much.

No problem PLEASE sent me a private E mail and let me know what brand of shower body you have

Most lightly it is Delta or Moen
                Pressure balance type…
                SylvanLMP

Participant

Wow I did not know there were so many “Sylvan’s” out here.

I am often copied BUT never duplicated LOL

Here is an Article just off the press that will explain why some plumbers set the temperature way to low.

http://www.masterplumbers.com/plumbing/plumbviews/2001/hot_page1.html

Participant

Sylvan – I didnt see an email address for you, so posting here.
                    I didn’t get your request for the brand type until I returned from the lake last evening. I think it is Pfister (sp) I won’t be back at the lake until next Friday to confirm that or try to make adjustments. Carole

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Carole460:
                      Sylvan – I didnt see an email address for you, so posting here.
                      I didn’t get your request for the brand type until I returned from the lake last evening. I think it is Pfister (sp) I won’t be back at the lake until next Friday to confirm that or try to make adjustments. Carole

Hi Carole I called my buddy at Price Pfister and normally their products are covered under a warrantee.

If you send me a private E mail ILL give you Steve’s E mail.

Steve is one of the head directors

I was given several PF faucets to test for quality and for the price they are a good product and knowing that they are part of the Black and Decker corporation they will stand behind the product.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This