Relief Valve

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Relief Valve

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #275158
      Anonymous

      I am looking for a source for Watts #100XL T & P Relief valves set for 175 lb

      Thanks
      Scott
      http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com

    • #291260
      fourth year
      Participant

      Sylvan will disagree, but if it is for a water heater, you will not find one and should not use it if you did, since water heaters are tested to 300# and the relief valve should only be half that, or 150#.

    • #291261
      Phil_H
      Participant

      The 100XL specifications say pressure relief range 75 to 150 psi; http://www.wattsreg.com/default.htm?/es/100xl.htm
      You may want to look through there catalog or talk with a Watts representative to see what P&T they have that will work for your application. Watts Regulator web site: http://www.wattsreg.com/

    • #291262
      Guest
      Participant

      quote:


      Originally posted by fourth year:
      Sylvan will disagree, but if it is for a water heater, you will not find one and should not use it if you did, since water heaters are tested to 300# and the relief valve should only be half that, or 150#.


      Wow and all these years as a PRESSURE vessel and low pressure boiler inspector I certified PRESSURE vessels with a working pressure of over 1,500 PSI

      TSK, TSK another reason WHY folks who dabble in trades should open up their minds and not their mouths and READ ASME/ASTM/NFPA/ASSE/NBBI/AWS as far as actual working pressures publications

      The T&P setting is based on BTU INPUT and temperature and according which code your using AGE or ASME what the valve will be rated at.

      The AGA sets much higher standards.

      Also the actual “tank” if ASME designed has a Working pressure rating much like a boiler plate.

      Contact Watts for the EXACT replacement of the one you have Or a greater relieving capacity never less then actual BTU input. Amazing how the unknowing give erroneous advice constantly.

      It still amazes me how some states give a license away to the unknowing.. NOW more then ever I think home centers are Par with some of the so called “plumbers” out here.

      One of the major flaws with giving away a plumbing license is folks who get these non skilled licenses actualy believe they know something

      SylvanLMP still trying to learn these trades properly

    • #291263
      Guest
      Participant

      quote:


      Originally posted by Phil H:
      The 100XL specifications say pressure relief range 75 to 150 psi; http://www.wattsreg.com/default.htm?/es/100xl.htm
      You may want to look through there catalog or talk with a Watts representative to see what P&T they have that will work for your application. Watts Regulator web site: http://www.wattsreg.com/


      Phil do you REALLY expect someone to make the effort to LEARN about what they dabble in?

      Reading and understanding codes takes an effort which a lot of uncaring folks will not do.

      Learning about these crafts is what seperates the stumble bums from the true masters of the trades.

      If you send me a private E mail ILL be more then happy to give you the names of suppliers where you can get the PROPER T&P your requesting. SylvanLMP

    • #291264
      fourth year
      Participant

      As long as you are still trying to learn the trade there is hope for you yet. My water heater, and everyone I have seen for the last 40 years, says “Test pressure 300#, MAXIMUM working pressure 150#”, so, if you are so bent on obeying the rules, why would you recommend a 175# T&P valve? They may be using the 100XL for something other than a water heater, but the probablity is that it is to stop a 150# valve from dripping.

    • #291265
      SylvanLMP
      Participant

      quote:


      Originally posted by fourth year:
      As long as you are still trying to learn the trade there is hope for you yet. My water heater, and everyone I have seen for the last 40 years, says “Test pressure 300#, MAXIMUM working pressure 150#”, so, if you are so bent on obeying the rules, why would you recommend a 175# T&P valve? They may be using the 100XL for something other than a water heater, but the probablity is that it is to stop a 150# valve from dripping.


      Thank you so much for letting me know that the commercial water heater I inspected last month should have been taken out of service.

      Just because the ASME section IV which this heater was constructed under says is OK for use up to 160 PSI I should listen to a 4th year guy and install a T&P rated at 150#

      Knowing that a 4th year knows so much more then the NBBI and ASME I should have consulted you first instead of allowing this unit to pass my inspection.

      It makes perfect sense to install a 150 PSI T&P on a 160 PSI unit Thank you again for proving why we shouldn’t bother KNOWING what we are talking about.

    • #291266
      fourth year
      Participant

      This customer asked about a Watts 100XL. Unless your are the cheapest S.O.B. on the planet, you would not use that relief valve on an ASME rated water heater. And I doubt that you would install an ASME tank that is only rated at 100,000 btu. 100L t&p valves are almost exclusively used on domestic water heaters and SMALL commercial ones. Those heaters are ALWAYS rated at 150# unless you know of a renegade out there that I have never come across. 40 years ago the typical T&P valve that was installed was 125#, but the heater was still rated at 150 psi working pressure.

    • #291267
      SylvanLMP
      Participant

      quote:


      Originally posted by Phil H:
      The 100XL specifications say pressure relief range 75 to 150 psi; http://www.wattsreg.com/default.htm?/es/100xl.htm
      You may want to look through there catalog or talk with a Watts representative to see what P&T they have that will work for your application. Watts Regulator web site: http://www.wattsreg.com/


      Phil how can this be?

      4Th year said this relief valve is too high a rating.NEVER mind what the manufacturer says HE knows better.

      Even though I know I can get these valves with a 75-150 PSI Deg. rating 4th year said I would disagree with him so I cannot see how you want to confuse him with facts?

      He knows better

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This