New toliet or fix old one?….Please Help!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing New toliet or fix old one?….Please Help!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

HELP! My toliet which is at least 12 years old has several annoying problems. I’m trying to decide whether to fix or buy a new one. There are 3 problems:
        1)It overflows occasionally, thus leaking water down to first level kitchen ceiling (argh!!)….which leads to the second problem 2) It does not always stop filling after flushing and 3) It is not bolted down securely. I have replaced the hardware inside the tank, but after a few weeks/months it still won’t stop filling after flushing. I AM TIRED OF YELLING AT MY FAMILY AND GUESTS TO “JIGGLE” THE HANDLE”!!! I am thinking of purchasing a new toliet since that would solve most of the problems. Regarding new toliets….do they have overflow prevention or is that something I can “add” to my old toliet? I have noticed that new toliets seem to have bad “suck power” and get clogged often (hotels are infamous for this!) I don’t want to replace one problem with another. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! p.s. If you think a new toliet is in order…is one brand/style better than another?

Participant

The only way to get overflow protection is to install one of the low tank one piece toilets, such as the Kohler San Raphael. Your other problems may, or may not, be able to be fixed if you called a plumber.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
          Participant

Claire. The annoying problems you have described are all fixable by a Licensed Master Plumber, if you continue to try to fix the problem without knowing how! Then the problems will continue. Call a LMP.

Participant

Claire if your toilet is a color one matching other fixtures then hire a LMP to replace everything inside the tank BUT if it is a plain white one go for a New crane toilet 1.6 GPF and forget the other non working fancy name brands

Labor is expensive materials are cheap by comparison. SylvanLMP

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This