Need Advice on in line water filter

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Need Advice on in line water filter

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I am installing one of those misters contraptions for around the patio next to the lake. I will be pumping out of the lake for the water which then goes into a garden hose. The end fitting of the mister connects to the hose. There are a lot of particles in the water and I would like to prevent as much debris as possible to eliminate clogging the mist nozzles. Can you think of a fitting that would fit this scenario that would work and be accessible to regular cleaning?
        Appreciate your thoughts on this.
        Sincerely, Carole

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Carole460:
          I am installing one of those misters contraptions for around the patio next to the lake. I will be pumping out of the lake for the water which then goes into a garden hose. The end fitting of the mister connects to the hose. There are a lot of particles in the water and I would like to prevent as much debris as possible to eliminate clogging the mist nozzles. Can you think of a fitting that would fit this scenario that would work and be accessible to regular cleaning?
          Appreciate your thoughts on this.
          Sincerely, Carole

When ever using water of questionable quality (non potable) You must mark the out let of the water (hose in this case) with a yellow band Or writing a sign attached to this hose “water unsafe”

Hope fully this should protect you in a law suit in case a child drinks from the end of this hose and gets sick.

Drawing water from a lake or stream through a garden hose is always risky business.

Just be careful to mark this hose so no one will use it on the potable water after it was used in a lake/pond.

You can also get in line clear filters to remove sediment on the suction side of the device your using.

SylvanLMP

Participant

PS.
            If your looking for an EASY type of filter to use, go to a decent hardware store or home center and ask the clerk for a washing machine washer with the screen.

These washers come in a package of TWO and should cost under $1.00

Make sure these washers with build in strainers are either brass screen or stainless steel NOT plastic garbage.

I personally would buy extra ones even though they can be cleaned and reused for years and years.

Participant

Sylvan.. thank you for that suggestion. It sounds like just what I need. Also, we keep lots of bottled water available at the dock for drinking.

Participant

If the water has a lot of debris the hose washer screens will plug up quite quickly. A better solution would be to get a Y strainer that is used with lawn drip systems. It will trap a larger amount of debris and has a cap on the filter side so the material can be flushed out without disassembling the piping.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Carole460:
                  Sylvan.. thank you for that suggestion. It sounds like just what I need. Also, we keep lots of bottled water available at the dock for drinking.

Your very welcome Carole.

The reason I did not suggest a Wye strainer is some STUMBLEBUMS say use a “cap on it” rather then a ball valve for blow down like we do on boiler systems and pressure vessels and steam traps and sand traps on non potable water supply systems

You just want to keep it simple and very easy to maintain and cost effective.

Just ignore the postings that look to complicate a simple job.

If someone was foolish enough to even consider a Y strainer then knowing it is fresh water it would have to be non ferrous materials.

The simple washing machine strainer can be replaced or cleaned by just separating the hoses by hand ONCE someone says CAP you now need tools to tighten and loosen these trouble prone devices.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me SylvanLMP

Participant

The Y strainers for lawn irrigation systems are plastic, so they will not corrode. They do come with a hose thread cap on them but it is easier to remove the cap once a week or so than it is to disassemble a hose every hour. You are losing your objectivity.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This