chrome plated pipes

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing chrome plated pipes

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Can anyone tell me if there is a requirement to use chrome tube in an exposed installation in a commercial building. The area in question is a room in a building that houses an-ray developer so it is not in public view. The owner is concerned that the copper tube used should be chrome plated.
        Is there any code I can refer to?
        Kirby

Participant

If he requires chrome plating, it would almost have to be chrome pipe, since it would be very difficult to install chrome plated copper. The lengths of tubing would have to be plated, and every piece would have to have the plating removed at the joint ends, before it could be assembled and soldered. And the process of removing the plating could impair getting a good joint if the tubing surface was damaged.

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
          Participant

Geof, I believe in SA you are required to work to one of the many AS 3500″s. There is no requirement in this Standard to my knowledge. What was specified? and remember the customer wants C/P pipe! We usually install C/P pipe in all exposed locations except in the odd occasion or under basins in cupboards. Good luck! sounds like the owner is adamant.

Participant

QUOTE]Originally posted by Robert Stephen Morton:
              Geof, I believe in SA you are required to work to one of the many AS 3500″s. There is no requirement in this Standard to my knowledge. What was specified? and remember the customer wants C/P pipe! We usually install C/P pipe in all exposed locations except in the odd occasion or under basins in cupboards. Good luck! sounds like the owner is adamant.[/QUOTE]

One of the major reasons we here in the states use chrome plated piping is not only for a clean appearance but it has been found that chrome plated brass and stainless steel do not allow bacteria growth.

A recent survey at local hospitals and in public bathrooms has proved that even the flushometer handles were bacteria free even after lots of constant usage.

For maintenance a chrome plating is very easy to clean and does not get the oxidation like coper or brass or Muntz metal or bronze does.

Think about how us Americans are so picky about sparkling teeth and great smelling breath and arm pits so WHY would our plumbing be less shinny then out teeth?

What ever the client wants and as long as it is up to code why not humor them?

How many times have you blokes install Gold plated faucets and trim?

If plumbing is exposed why not make it pretty?

Have a great one Mates. SylvanLMP

Participant

Oh, my. Now when customers tell me they want chrome faucets, I will have to call them dummies and tell them there are no chrome faucets. Only chrome plated brass or plastic ones. But I will not, since I at least am intelligent enough to know what they mean, as opposed to some people. And have you ever noticed that chrome (plated) solder stops do not have the plating inside the socket. Or have you ever tried to make a solder connection on chrome (plated) 1 1/2″ tailpieces and found that emery does not remove the chrome plating? You have to file it off and the process of filing a water line could create flat spots and an improper clearance in the joint which would prevent a good joint. Why not go back to yur boycott of this board.

Participant

FOURTH YEAR, Give it up

Participant

fourth year, what the hell are you smoking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Participant

Chrome plating on either waste or water is only on the outside of the pipe so there is no internal benefit with the pipe and there is no bacteria concerns if its only a processor, so its only aesthetics. Then it comes down to if you allowed for c/p in your quote. 50mm c/p trap is expensive

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This