Rocking Toilet

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Rocking Toilet

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

My toilet is always loose, no water is leaking. I tighten those little nuts on the base of the toilet and it stays tight for a day or so, but then it is loose again. The toilet sets on a concrete floor, is about 4 years old.
        Can anyone help me????

Participant

What type of material is your floor flange made of?

Brass, cast Iron or plastic garbage?

Participant

I don’t know. My house is only 4 years old – does that help?

Participant

Unfortunately No. I use cast Iron in all my installations even where plastic is permitted.

The problem with some installations is the piping is not always secured properly and this makes for either a noisy or loose system.

There is always the possibility the toilet flange was not secured to the soil pipe properly or the floor flange maybe too high for a proper fit.

Sometimes the builder hires the plumber who comes in at the lowest price with total disregard to quality in materials like an imported flange which is not supposed to rust but some do.

The flange bolts have this flat bottom that is supposed to fit in the floor flange BUT if the flange separates from the soil pipe Or the groove opening is too wide then the bolts just become unattached and thus causes this kind of condition.

You may want to lift the toilet up and install Hercules Johnny Bolts BRASS and a Hercules wax Gasket with the horn for better sealing.

Most decent home centers carry this. Good luck

Participant

Thank you for your prompt reply. I guess I will have to tear into the toilet to see what was used.
                Thanks again.
                JuneAnn

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by juneann:
                  Thank you for your prompt reply. I guess I will have to tear into the toilet to see what was used.
                  Thanks again.
                  JuneAnn

I sent you my private E mail if you need more information

Participant

In Australia toilets are secured to the ground by the screws you mentioned not the flange. Usually the bowl is held down by the screws until the either the silicone or cement has cured. So dont assume that the flange is the problem, look at other alternatives as well

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This