Is venting gas necessary?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Is venting gas necessary?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve talked with a fellow who has recently built a house and he said there is no vent pipes through his roof–the plumber just used one-way check valves for venting the drain lines. I’m getting ready to shingle my roof, dry-in stage, and haven’t installed any vent lines yet. Can I get by without a stinkpipe penetrating my roof? I’ve posted similarly on the sewage board, but before I talked with this homeowner. He doesn’t have any penetrations through his roof, and a real plumber did the work.

Participant

When is a door not a door?
          When is a home that has no vents vented? From long experience, a check valve is something to service regularly, so who gets to do the regular maintenance?

A ‘stink pipe’ stands there for the life of the building doing its job with no maintenance. IMO your neighbor is in for many unpleasant surprises. One surprise may be the question – “who approved this ?”

Participant
            Quote:
            Originally posted by armdiver:
            I’ve talked with a fellow who has recently built a house and he said there is no vent pipes through his roof–the plumber just used one-way check valves for venting the drain lines. I’m getting ready to shingle my roof, dry-in stage, and haven’t installed any vent lines yet.

A lot of folks call themselves “plumbers” but it doesn’t necessarily make it so.

This crap, garbage junk your describing sounds like an air admittance valve that some low life code officials approved.

It must be nice to be able to buy a code official and or a politician or judge to approve a piece of plastic and rubber crap to protect folks from methane, hydrogen sulfide and other cancer causing gases from entering the home.

Mechanical devices fail and these things are installed by the get in get out and thankfully I don’t leave there mentality stumble bums of society who just do not know any better.. Good luck

Participant

Armdiver,I can not believe a REAL PLUMBER would do such a thing.What is the big deal about running a vent or two through the roof? Good Luck.

Participant

just sticking a pipe through the roof dose not solve your problem.
                proprely venting a system to code
                (a real code such as the national std. plumbing code) is a little more sophisticated then that.
                suggest you find a real plumber
                kenny b

Participant

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll have sinks, bathtub, showers, toilets vented thru the roof. I’ll plan on joining where practical in the attic and thru the roof they’ll go. Wouldn’t have it any other way. And as far as the code goes, there is none here. Plenty of politicians tho. Thanks again.

Participant

Armdiver, Now you are talking. Iwould bet that the guy who has the check valves on his vents will do it right sooner or later.

Participant

If you do decide to go through the roof with a vent pipe try to figure out your fixture units connected Or just use a 4″ vent line so there is no possibility of hoarfrost.

If there are lots of trees there put a return bend (180 degree fitting) Or a vandal proof cap on to prevent this line from being blocked up.

SylvanLMP

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This