hot water heater

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing hot water heater

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

HELP!!!! WE HAVE A RELIANCE HEATER. MY HUSBAND HAS CHANGED BOTH ELEMENTS, BREAKER,WIRING IS GOOD. IT STILL RUNS OUT OF HOT WATER AFTER 5 TO 10 MINUTES. WE HAVE IT SET HIGH FOR DISHWASHER. I THINK IT IS TOO HOT. WHAT SHOULD WE DO? I HATE TO SPEND MONEY ON A NEW HOT WATER HEATER AND WE JUST BOUGHT THIS HOUSE SO I DO NOT KNOW HOW OLD OUR RELIANCE 501 IS. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP
        PENNY

Participant

You have to test the thermostats, particularly the upper one. Occasionally when an element burns out it overloads the thermostat and damages the points so the thermostat cannot active the element. Or in the case of the upper thermostat, switch over and activate the lower element.

Participant

hi sorry i forgot to tell you it is a new thermostat also.thank you so much for replying. do we need a new hot water heater??

Participant

The year it was made is the second and third digit of the serial number. If it is 4 or 5 years old then you could have a failed dip tube, but usually there are other signs of dip tube failure besides lack of cold water. You should have tested the heater components before replacing them to determine which, if any, were defective. Until both thermostats and both elements are tested and the wiring checked to be sure all connections are made to the proper terminals, I would not advise replacing the water heater.

Participant

THANK YOU. IT IS A 1996 RELIANCE .PEOPLE HAVE TOLD MY HUSBAND ABOUT THE TUBE AND THEY SAY IT WILL FALL APART IF HE REPLACES IT SO I GUESS WE ARE GETTING A NEW HEATER. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP. I WILL CALL AND SEE IF THE WARANTY IS STILL GOOD.THANK YOU PENNY

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This