water levels

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing water levels

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

How can I get the water level in my toilet bowl to be higher? HELP!!!

Participant

Unless the refill tube is not sending enough water to completely fill it to the proper level, you can’t since the water level is designed into the bowl’s construction. Pour water into the bowl slowly and see if it will rise to the level you want and stay there. If it does, then you may have to change the tank’s fill valve so it refills the bowl faster.

Participant

Aresto,If you can raise the water level in the tank with out going over the overflow tube the water in the bowl will also raise because the refill tube will be running as the water in the tank raises.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by aresto:
              How can I get the water level in my toilet bowl to be higher? HELP!!!

If the water in the bowl is low it could be the sign of a partial stoppage.

Sometimes folks throw unmentionables down these toilets and the cotton or string act much like a wick on a cigarette lighter and syphons out the trap seal.

We real plumbers call this phenomena capillary action.

You see the helper mentality ASSUMES (Makes an ASS of U AND ME) thinking it had to be a “dip tube”

Over 80% of the one family homes and multi story buildings I work in have flushometer rather then low tanks or sometimes called close coupled tank and bowls.

Another thing to check is the water level IF your using a tank and bowl in lieu of a flushometer is how high the water level is NORMALLY 1″ below the over flow tube is the recommended height.

When you flush the toilet look inside the tank to see IF you have one (dip tube) as some tanks DO NOT have an over flow TUBE as a HELPER would never know about the Sloan FLUSHMATE pressure assisted 1.6 GPF Or the older tanks where the over flow is part of the China castings.

Unfortunately some folks dabble in these trades and have no clue as they would never really take the time to LEARN and keep abreast of the current changes in plumbing, heating, gas fitting and proper drainage.

Now lets consider you do look into your tank and see an upright tube coming out of a “Douglas Valve” and this tube is called your “over flow tube” as it is designed to allow water to go down this tube before it comes out of the handle opening Or the top of the tank.

This tube should be between 1″ or slightly larger *some are as large as 11/4″

Now coming out of the ball cock (fill valve) there should be a 1/8-1/4″ copper or plastic or rubber tube that when the handle is flushed it allows water to flow out of this small diameter piping.

What this little tube is designed to do is replenish the trap seal (water level) and help with the scouring action of the actual bowl.

What you should have is this “refill tube” about 3/4 “above the over flow tube to prevent the possibility of a cross connection as not every HELPER knows not to install a ball cock with a vacuum breaker and we certainly do not water back syphonage.

Now if the refill tube is not flowing you should shut the water supply disassemble this ball cock and check for debris.

If it is a FLUSHOMETER depending on the type and model what adjustments you can make like simply raising the set screw to allow for a longer flushing action.

If it is a Sloan flushmate contact Sloan Valve company and CAREFULLY follow their directions to the letter.

Amazing the knowledge that can be found on this professional list HUH?
              SylvanLMP please read my plumbviews about ONLY hiring professionals

Participant

Should have read

What you should have is this “refill tube” about 3/4 “above the over flow tube to prevent the possibility of a cross connection as not every HELPER knows not to install a ball cock MISSING A vacuum breaker and we certainly do not water back syphonage.

Have any questions please E mail me VIA Master plumbers.com

Participant

The problem is when the toilet is flushed, the bowl fills up, then it slowly sinks back down to the minimum level.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by aresto:
                    The problem is when the toilet is flushed, the bowl fills up, then it slowly sinks back down to the minimum level.

This is a very common problem where you have a partical blockage.

If it were from osculation or a blocked vent line you would hear a gurgling sound and for the wind effect of trap seal loss you would see the water level move back and forth and thus spilling over the crown weir of the toilet trap.

The key here is you can actually watch the bowl syphon out and this is text book stoppage UNLESS of course your toilet is not installed level.
                    SylvanLMP

Participant

OOPS “oscillation” sorry :-(

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This