anti-siphon feature…

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing anti-siphon feature…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Do hot water tanks incorporate an anti-siphon feature in the dip tube?

What brands do and when did they start?

Thank you

Participant

The all do, and I have never known a time, in the past 52 years, that they did not.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
            Do hot water tanks incorporate an anti-siphon feature in the dip tube?

What brands do and when did they start?

Thank you

No, they do NOT. If I placed a hot water heater on the 2nd floor of a building and opened a tap in the basement and shut off the cold water supply I would drain the tank and also cause a vacuum which under higher building heights would even crush the tank.

That is why REAL plumbers know to put a vacuum breaker on any vessel that has a water outlet below it BUT far be it for me to criticize someone who says there are devices built into tanks or dip tubes.

BUT dont bet your life on it.

AMAZING when REAL professionals read the ASME section IV code and understand what they read.

Sylvan Ex Member of the National Board of Boiler Inspectors NBBI and Pressure vessel inspector.

Participant

He is not talking about a vacuum breaker, he asked about an anti-siphon feature. All dip tubes since at least the 50’s have a hole in them to act as an antisiphon feature. It may not function in the case of a strong backflow or if air cannot enter the tank to break the siphonage, but the feature is there never the less.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by fourth year:
                He is not talking about a vacuum breaker, he asked about an anti-siphon feature. All dip tubes since at least the 50’s have a hole in them to act as an antisiphon feature. It may not function in the case of a strong backflow or if air cannot enter the tank to break the siphonage, but the feature is there never the less.

Hello my fellow professional, Have you ever installed a sump pump to manufacturers directions?

Ever notice the pump guru’s always say drill a small hole in the discharge piping BELOW the check valve?

Think about it, and get back to me later :-)

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This