Plumber’s putty on unfinished oak floor

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Plumber’s putty on unfinished oak floor

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

As part of remodeling bathroom, pulled up old tile then toilet and then refinished the floor, however, before getting to put any polyeurethane/varnish on floor, toilet got put back down and the question is — will plumber’s putty (in this case Harvey’s Plumbers Putty) eat away at the unfinished oak floor?

Participant

Putt probably won’t harm the floor, but moisture and acidic chemicals made by the human body ceratinly will. Take the toilet off, clean and refinish the base area. Seal the wood, put a decorative thick plastic sheet cemented and sealed atop the wood and tight sealed to the flange edge. Seal the floor bolt area, then reinstall the bowl. You do not want someone to visit the floor below after a time.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Harold hydronic.net:
            Take the toilet off, clean and refinish the base area. Seal the wood, put a decorative thick plastic sheet cemented and sealed atop the wood and tight sealed to the flange edge. Seal the floor bolt area, then reinstall the bowl. You do not want someone to visit the floor below after a time.[/B]

Thanks — I needed someone to confirm what I figured I should do.

Participant

IF the wook is unfinished, the oil in the plumber’s putty can soak into the pores and discolor it. The same thing can happen on marble which is why putty is not used for that application.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This