toilet floor flange

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing toilet floor flange

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I’m re-tiling the floor in my 1/2 bath and installing a new toilet,
        the floor flange is basically gone. The outlet is a 70 year old lead bend. Is the new floor flange soldered (wiped) in or what? I work with babbitt and could easily wipe it in, is this OK? or should I use that bar solder or replace the whole thing with PVC?

Participant

I usally find that PVC is very durable and user friendly, that’s what I would use.
          Good luck

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by phil2lvg:
            I’m re-tiling the floor in my 1/2 bath and installing a new toilet,
            the floor flange is basically gone. The outlet is a 70 year old lead bend. Is the new floor flange soldered (wiped) in or what? I work with babbitt and could easily wipe it in, is this OK? or should I use that bar solder or replace the whole thing with PVC?

Phil you sound like an elevator mechanic working with Babbitt.

Trying to lead wipe a lead pipe with this allow is darn near impossible as the antimony content would require more heat then “plumbers” bar solder and you would end up melting the base metal (lead pipe)

What you should do if possible is check the lead bent connection by the brass ferrule next to the cast iron hub and if this is in good condition THEN get bar solder like Flemico # 1 (40-60) as the pasty range would give you more then enough time to make a cup joint to install a new deep seal brass floor flange.

I am glad to see a really qualified mechanic who can still work with Babbitt as most of the stumblebums today have no clue to the proper use of this alloy including its superior strength compared to lead joints.

If you want you can send me a private E mail as J TDD gets upset when ever I give technical advice on here to other tradesmen as he gets confused with any type of advice other then pick and or shovel mentality :-)

Forget the plastic crap as the radius of PVC is normaly much shorter then its lead counter part and is prone to failure long before lead fails

Participant

There is nothing wrong with PVC. Why waste your time with the lead crap? Yes,Sylvan Ican wipe a lead joint,in fact Istill have got all the tools to do so ,but see no point .Lead and the old time ways are gone.Who knows how long PVCwill last.Why is it more prone to failure?

Participant

There is nothing wrong with PVC. Why waste your time with the lead crap? Yes,Sylvan Ican wipe a lead joint,in fact Istill have got all the tools to do so ,but see no point .Lead and the old time ways are gone.Who knows how long PVCwill last.Why is it more prone to failure?

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This