leaking water heater

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing leaking water heater

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • #274925

      I have a 2 year old Rheem 50gal. water heater, that now drips from the pressure relief valve. Is this easily replaceable by me? and are they (replacement valves) easily attainable?

    • #290754

      Replacement Code approved cost about $3.50 each for a 3/4″ Watts T&P
      BUT you should find out what is causing this simple to repalce part to leak in the 1st place huh?

    • #290755

      What is a good reason for this valve to be leaking, other than over pressure/overtemp?

    • #290756
      fourth year

      Wats has just issued a statement that relief valves coded from 97 to 01 can release at less than 200 degrees.

    • #290757


      Originally posted by MMILLER:
      What is a good reason for this valve to be leaking, other than over pressure/overtemp?

      Defective Valve would be a great reason or one not properly calibrated as to temperature and or pressure.

      A lot of folks will never let any helper give advice unless the helper is going out for coffee for the real mechanics and may then suggest a good coffee shop Other then that their advice is normally useless like tits on a bull.

      You see even though a normal T&P is rated for 210 degrees and 150 PSI. We sometimes use a lower rated valve as why run this heater to Max capacity?

      A residential heater has only an operating control and NO safety devices other then the T&P unlike a commercial heater or a boiler.

      What you could do is read the valve tag on your T&P and possibly test it by use of the test lever as described in your owners manual.

      Not all plumbers will allow a helper into the home as these folks would just install a T&P with total disregard to firing rate they only know to replace in kind with no rhyme or reason WHY.

      Just because a gauge says 45# or 125 degrees doesn’t mean it is accurate.

      As a “certified” plumber-boiler – pressure vessel inspector we are also required to check the calibration of gauges and if necessary re calibrate the gauge or replace it.

      When in doubt call a local licensed Master plumber and DEMAND to see their license before you even allow them in your home to do testing/inspection of your equipment.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This