Pinhole leaks and heat

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Pinhole leaks and heat

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 23 years ago by Avatar photoSylvanLMP.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

My question is on the use of heat in the repair of pinholes in a 30 year old property. My supervisor has us using strictly compression fittings to repair the pipe. His opinion is the use of heat will open up alot more pinholes. I would prefer to cut out the sections and soft soldier new sections into effected areas…thanks

Participant

I wouldn’t do either until it was determined why the pinholes are appearing in the first place.

If your pulling well water through the lines, it is probable that the water is “acidic”. That means the ph level in your water is too low and is slowly but surely attempting to become neutral by gnawing away at the pipes. Acidic water is aggressive.

Put an acid neutralizer unit where the water enters the house (poe)and that will get the ph level to neutral, saving you hours of arguing over heat/compression fittings.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Nenonen:
            My question is on the use of heat in the repair of pinholes in a 30 year old property. My supervisor has us using strictly compression fittings to repair the pipe. His opinion is the use of heat will open up alot more pinholes. I would prefer to cut out the sections and soft soldier new sections into effected areas…thanks

It should be very interesting to find out what code and or training your Stupidvisor has in piping?

What should be checked is not on the pH BUT the pressure and pipe diameter.

Also you didn’t mention if this was on the hot and or cold water lines.

For example the CDA suggests water in a velocity in excess of 5 FPS should be avoided on cold water and a velocity of more then 2-3 FPS on hot water is also not a great idea.

If your supervisor is really smart have him/her take a pressure reading then EXPLAIN to you how he/she figured out the velocity in FPS other wise I would strongly ask the upper management to find someone Qualified to do the job properly.

If you send me an E mail with pressure /temperature and pipe size ILL give you the velocity you have now and the proper design that should be used.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This