Replace Hot Water Heater

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Replace Hot Water Heater

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 23 years ago by Avatar photofourth year.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I’m a single mom of two teenage boys, and I’m replacing my old 50 gallon Semco hot water heater with a new GE 40 gallon electric using a standard copper tubing kit for threaded pipe hot and cold water supply line hookups. My problem is that the cold water supply line to the old heater runs along the floor connected to the BOTTOM of the old heater. My new heater has the standard supply lines connecting at the top of the new heater. Since the copper tubing in my kit is designed for connecting at the top of the new heater, I want to know if there are any other solutions for tuing that would reach down to the floor to the existing cold water line. If not, is my only solution to re-align the existing old pipe so it runs up the side of the new hot water heater to reach the top connection? Thanks, Terri
        Kilmarnock, VA

Participant

Relocating the pipe so it reaches the top of the heater will make future service easier, but if that is beyond your capabilities, then you can remove the drain valve, install a nipple and tee and then connect the cold water to the bottom of the heater just as the old one was. Do not forget to reinstall the drain valve into the tee.

Participant

Relocating the pipe so it reaches the top of the heater will make future service easier, but if that is beyond your capabilities, then you can remove the drain valve, install a nipple and tee and then connect the cold water to the bottom of the heater just as the old one was. Do not forget to reinstall the drain valve into the tee and put a cap on the original cold water inlet pipe.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This