Relance Water Heater Model 501

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Relance Water Heater Model 501

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 23 years ago by Avatar photoGuest.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

My fater in law has a Reliance Water heater Model 501 installed in a house in Myrtle Beach SC. The house is used about 4 weeks a year. The water heater doesn’t have any hot water for about 8 to 12 hours after we turn the power and water on when we arive. The breaker usually will kick a number of times. (I replace the breaker when it went bad about a year ago. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Participant

Steve, I would check out the heating elements to be sure they are working, also check the wires in back of the heater jacket. When you do the BE SURE YOU HAVE THE BREAKER TURNED OFF!

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by RJmuheim:
            Steve, I would check out the heating elements to be sure they are working, also check the wires in back of the heater jacket. When you do the BE SURE YOU HAVE THE BREAKER TURNED OFF!

Thanks for the reply, I have checked the reset on the top element and have never found it kicked. I havn’t checked the wiring. Based on the intermitent nature (it will heat al of a sudden and then kick the breaker) I wondered if there was a restriction to the water intake (maybe solder in the valve) but ther is no shortage of water volume or pressure allthough the water has a pretty bad sulfer odor which is somewhat typical of beach water.
            Thanks again, Steve

Participant

You are checking the thermostats. The problem is most likely a shorted out upper element inside the tank. If it were the lower element you would get some hot water before the breaker tripped. But, when the upper element burns out, it is almost always because the lower one is also burned out. Have a plumber check both elements and then test the thermostats since an element can damage the thermostat when it burns out.

Participant

“The house is used about 4 weeks a year.”

Any chance of me borrowing it for a few weeks this summer ??? LOL

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This