Baseboard Heat Imbalance

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Baseboard Heat Imbalance

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 23 years ago by Avatar photofourth year.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have baseboard heat fueled by oil. There is a very noticeable difference in temperature from one room to another. I live in a rancher so all of our dwelling space is on one floor. The kitchen ,living & dining room can be very warm while the 3 bedrooms are cool. Can anyone advise me on why that possibly is?

Participant

If you follow the free lessons at http://www.hydronic.net you will see the procedure for determining the amount of heating element to install in each room. This procedure involves some elementary math. While it is not difficult to use the procedure, it involves some attention to detail and math that is not enjoyable to people who ‘work with their hands,’ so many just guess at the amount of radiaton to put in each room.

There are ways to install any amount of radiation without calculation, going ‘wall-to-wall’ with baseboard covering all available outside wall, then using non-electric zone valves in each room to control the temperature satisfactorily,; however these add cost to the installation.

You are, most likely, a victim of a guesstimator.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Harold hydronic.net:
            If you follow the free lessons at http://www.hydronic.net you will see the procedure for determining the amount of heating element to install in each room. This procedure involves some elementary math. While it is not difficult to use the procedure, it involves some attention to detail and math that is not enjoyable to people who ‘work with their hands,’ so many just guess at the amount of radiaton to put in each room.

There are ways to install any amount of radiation without calculation, going ‘wall-to-wall’ with baseboard covering all available outside wall, then using non-electric zone valves in each room to control the temperature satisfactorily,; however these add cost to the installation.

You are, most likely, a victim of a guesstimator.

Harold I am so sorry to disagree with you on an “heating issue”

I do agree with you Most of the American “plumbers” dabbling in heating have NO CLUE to sizing a heating properly As They would rather die then ever attend a REAL SCHOOL.

The other end of the spectrum is the Fly by nights who use a phony name (never their own) for a company and install PURE Crap under the slab so folks will have a major problem shortly down the line.

Ask ANY heating person (USA) for his/her license or FORMAL training that dabble in one family homes or tract housing.

What I do notice is the what I cal stumble bum mentality heating guy who throws plastic crap under 6″ of cement and then tells folks Hey don’t worry PAY ME and they are colored GONE under a new corporate name.

When in doubt run baseboard on EVERY out side wall these wanna be professionals UNLICENSED guys think.

Hot water heating systems are very forgiving that I would estimate a full 97% the average home owners with a 4th grade reading level could do their OWN heating properly.

If the boiler is slightly under sized NO problem Raise the water temperature, If the installer had any common decency and installed a two pipe system.

Fantastic then if the heating system is unbalanced they could use non electric zone valves Or if the cheap installer had any brain power they could have used several zones with balancing cocks and a thermometer on each zones return line to adjust these valves off one Circulator.

I love keeping 90 year old systems operating Better then the NEW State of the art non skilled installer type of installations.

Even the best products can be destroyed by some of these so called Heating installing “techs”..

Show me a person dabbling in the trades with no skill level (theory) and ILL show you a tech with OJT.

Again I know in my heart MOST is not all home owners if they took the time to READ your site and study they could do a much more professional heating job then most UNLICENSED heating folks.

Check out the guys with the words piping and heating on their trucks WHY? Cause plumbing requires a license.

Cant pass a simple Master plumbers exam go into HEATING and use an unemployable TECH.

Harold Folks are being ripped off everyday with piping failures I think anyone dabbling in heating should be able to put up their home as collateral that the systems they install WILL WORK if they wont you know where their mind set is.

THEY dont trust their work Period

Participant

If the bedrooms are on their own zone, then balancing cocks or zone valves can be installed to help regulate the temperatures. If the whole house is one zone or the warm rooms are intermixed with the cool ones, then the only way to regulate them is to either add baseboard in the cool rooms, assuming the system can handle the extra load, or reduce the heat in the warm rooms by removing baseboard or covering some of the fintube element to reduce the capacity.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This