Radiator replacement

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Radiator replacement

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Keymaster

I want to replace a radiator on a monoflow tee hydronic system with a kickspace heater. The existing system is black pipe, so I would have to put brass or copper couplings into the tee and monoflow return tee and solder copper pipe to the heater, which is the same distance from the tees as the radiator. This is in the crawlspace of a single family home. Would I have to drain the system completely to do this? Would there be a problem with the couplings being a different metal? Thanks.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Underthehouse:
          I want to replace a radiator on a monoflow tee hydronic system with a kickspace heater. The existing system is black pipe, so I would have to put brass or copper couplings into the tee and monoflow return tee and solder copper pipe to the heater, which is the same distance from the tees as the radiator. This is in the crawlspace of a single family home. Would I have to drain the system completely to do this? Would there be a problem with the couplings being a different metal? Thanks.

No problem at all using a copper female adapter or a copper male adapter connecting to black pipe BUT depending on the following you may have a problem

1- The coefficient of expansion of copper is much greater then that of steel and on long runs you will have to allow for expanding Fraud plbg and HTG can explain about the proper types of expansion loops or fittings applicable

2- If your heating water temperature is above 180 degree THEN copper should not be used if your velocity is over 2-3 FPS. Walford plbg & HTG will expliain about erosion factors and how this will effect the monoflo tee

WALLFORD plbg and HTG will explain how to size the pipe by any given pressure as he said he does heating He willl also explain WHY you can use a brass or copper coupling.

Yes you will have to drain down the system other wise any residue water will prevent you from soldering a proper joint.

If you need any help answering questions please feel free to E mail me

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This