Loop vents

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Loop vents

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I am adding a sink but it isn’t really practical to run a vent through the roof (Room overhead and no interior walls close buy). What are my options? I’ve heard about “loop vents” what are these and how do I make one?

Participant

You can get a cheap plastic chek vavle that lets air in to on top the drain pips to let the stuff go down. They dont leak too offen and let the explosiv sewer gases into the room, but make sure the kids nont get sick from gases if it leaks. You can tell when by the smell if they goi bad.

Participant

Yeah, but is this code. No one has suggested this before. Everyone keeps recommending loop vents. BTW, it seems that some mobile homes use a sink vent.

quote:

Originally posted by Nick Hydro:
            You can get a cheap plastic chek vavle that lets air in to on top the drain pips to let the stuff go down. They dont leak too offen and let the explosiv sewer gases into the room, but make sure the kids nont get sick from gases if it leaks. You can tell when by the smell if they goi bad.

Participant

John T Gardner wrote on 21 March 2001 at 10:28 PM:
              Yeah, but is this code. No one has suggested this before. Everyone keeps recommending loop vents. BTW, it seems that some mobile homes use a sink vent.

Who ever recommended LOOP vents is the same kind of person I would imagine would do ANYTHING in plummmin.

Most of the better codes will NOT allow loop venting. Why don’t you instead of asking about these illegal kind of piping arrangements contact your building department and make a copy of VENTING approved in your area?

Or ask WALLFORD PLBG & HTG to explain about suds pressure zones and related venting required and circuit venting and Island venting and crown venting and common venting Or Duel venting

WALLFORD is an expert of blind venting I am sure he knows all about non provents AKA AAV’s Or idiotic wet venting Walls specialty.

Why not ask Wallford PLBG and HTG about Crown venting and re venting and what it is exactly. He is a plummer who knows the codes and can explain why they size vent terminals to 4″ and how high off the roof terminal should be as required for the various type of roofing conditions.

Ask WALLFORD PLBG & HTG how to size an F.A.I and its proper location.

Wallford PLBG & HTG was just explaining how a continuous vent works and about vapor vents and vent stacks and stack vents.

Yes Wallford even helped design a Yoke vent as he is a PLBG & HTG expert

Ok Wall you are now the NEW expert go man show em your stuff.

He be the plumbing expert on here.

He even told me that codes are his thing so IM sure he can explain why the loops vents are impractical and illegal in a lot of localities.

Wallford KNOWS PLUMMMMMIN and HTG

Participant

I nevr herd nothing bad about provents except they stick sometimes and let the sick gases into the room sometimes. The you take them out of the wall and replace them. It is like ytou only get sick sometimes if you breathe the air from the vent on the roof. Somebody smells it before it gets to bad.

Participant

All code books I have seen show a picture of the proper way to make an island vent, and many cities&towns approve the use of air-admittance valves, not provents.

Participant

All code books I have seen show a picture of the proper way to make an island vent, and many cities&towns approve the use of air-admittance valves, not provents.

Participant

A island vent would be my first choice,but you don’t see this done very often since most local codes will allow a BOCA approved mechanical vent.If your going to use a loop vent then you might as well go the old timer way and use a s trap.Your local inspector will have the final say so I would check with him first.

Participant

any mechanical vent should be, and in most areas are illegal. These things are becoming more common as the dumbing down of our profession continues.
                        all this talk of a loop vent,I may be wrong but isn’t a loop vent a circuit vent that ties to the stack vent instead of the vent stack. Maybe I should buy a time life book to keep up with everyone.

Participant

My inspector is the one who suggested the loop vent. He didn’t give me any details though on how to build it.

quote:

Originally posted by Wallingford Plm+Htg:
                          A island vent would be my first choice,but you don’t see this done very often since most local codes will allow a BOCA approved mechanical vent.If your going to use a loop vent then you might as well go the old timer way and use a s trap.Your local inspector will have the final say so I would check with him first.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by kenny b:
                            any mechanical vent should be, and in most areas are illegal. These things are becoming more common as the dumbing down of our profession continues.
                            all this talk of a loop vent,I may be wrong but isn’t a loop vent a circuit vent that ties to the stack vent instead of the vent stack. Maybe I should buy a time life book to keep up with everyone.

Kenny your right on the money.

“venting required and circuit venting and Island venting and crown venting and common venting Or Duel venting” As you can see I said island ONLY a REAL non knowing fly by night would dare say “S” trap as only a real stumble bums has no clue these traps are self syphoning.
                            Kenny you are correct about your above statement GLAD to see a real professional answering this post.

Hydro nick is STILL better off then WALLFRAUD as Hydro knows more

Participant

A loop vent is not a circuit vent.A loop vent is a half ass attempt at an island vent created by old timers.I say if your going to use a loop vent then you might as well go the easier way and use a s trap since niether will assure you of trap seal.All the s traps I see these days were put by oldtimers.I’m sure they were just confused because they spent too much time by the lead pot.

Participant

In reply to message posted by John T Gardner:
                                I am adding a sink but it isn’t really practical to run a vent through the roof (Room overhead and no interior walls close buy). What are my options? I’ve heard about “loop vents” what are these and how do I make one?

SEnd me your e-mail add. and I will send you a drawing.
                                [email protected]

Participant

crikey, that post is over 1 1/2 years old i’m sure he figured it out by now

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This