Garbage Disposal Throwing Breaker

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Garbage Disposal Throwing Breaker

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

My Kenmore Disposal is not quite 6 years old. It has been working fine, but the other day it caused a breaker to trip when it was turned on. No sound, no indication of a jam, but the breaker trips every time. Any hope of repair? How easy for a novice to replace? Thanks……MAK

Participant

First check to make sure disposer is not jammed, then check wire connections in unit ( loose wire )
          shorting out then last I would check switch. These simple checks might cure problem, if not, replacing unit is not difficult if you follow directions with new disposer.

Participant

Thanks for the reply. If the grinder blades turn by hand (from “topside”), and a breaker trips even when plugged into a different outlet (w/o a switch), I guess that narrows it down to the wiring on the unit. Is it likely that there is a simple disassembly, or will I be pulling the whole unit, plumbing connections included, to examine wiring (or do the autopsy)?

quote:

Originally posted by Russ:
            First check to make sure disposer is not jammed, then check wire connections in unit ( loose wire )
            shorting out then last I would check switch. These simple checks might cure problem, if not, replacing unit is not difficult if you follow directions with new disposer.

Participant

For peace of mind, I would just replace the disposer.

Participant

Use Ohm meter to check power cord if you get high reading between both blades (positive and nutral) of the plug, motor is running to ground and is bad. Time for a new disposal my friend.

Respectfully David Walling

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This